What's new
What's new

What is the NAME(s) of that tool??

440roadrunner

Hot Rolled
I know you're laughing. I can hear it from here.

What the heck are some generic name(s) of manual tap guides which you can use in a lathe/ or drill-mill?

I'm not looking for a fancy tapping head.

I'm thinking of something I saw that was a manual sort of guide sleeve that allowed the tailstock chuck of the lathe, or chuck of the mill to center the tap without really putting any pressure or drive on the tap, allowing you to control the tap by hand.

Yeah. I've Googled. Found lots of tapping heads.

Try - tap guide or tap pilot, they are usaully spring loaded with a point and/or cup end. There is also a technique of running the tap on low rpm/speed and using the tail stock or mill spindle loose, but well cleaned and oiled as a rigid but responsive aligning tool.

A spring-loaded center in the tailstock, that fit's the center drilled end of the tap, which is held stationary with a tap wrench against a fixed portion of the lathe, is efficient and as accurate as any.

A "self centering" tap holder, (looks kinda' like a collet) is common, though unlike the spring-loaded center above, one size does not fit all.

Bob

Yes, thanks. I Googled "tapping guide" among other terms and got hits on "how to tap" instead of a tool

I think I can build one now that I know what to look for!!

I have some devices that mount in a drill press to guide hand tapping, which I'm sure I bought from Penn tool years ago, but cannot find in their current catalog.

Penn tool does list a "hand-tap guide".

Google of "hand tapping jig" brings up some relevent stuff
National Supply Source Tapping Tools

Another thread on PM talks about a "piloted tap wrench" - googling on that term brings up related things too.

Also, mcmaster under "tap wrench" lists what they are calling a "machine mount with guide"

See also "tap and reamer aligner" where "aligner" is a made up word you have to discover by accident.

(Bryan, who is annoyed he can't find a current catalog entry for the device which the OP would like to see.)

There are some terms that just don't "Google" well. The difficulty may be a firm paying for placement. Try Googling "Amazon.com working conditions" to research the reality of Amazon.com paying for ambulances lined up, waiting for the next worker to faint in those 115 degree warehouses.

Well, uh, that search actually does work. :o

If you are to shop-fab such, consider also mounting to the toolpost, not in the TS.

Do my drilling that way, so swapping to the tap need not require a change in alignment.

TS always seems the harder reach, clumsier feed, and a ready volunteer for damage, even though already on-center.

Bill

Bill,

how do you center up your drills in the tool post (dial it in every time?). I have considered this for heavier drilling. Maybe a Morse taper holder set on center height at least, to swap out morse taper drills, but the diameter centering would eat some time unless you have any tricks you'd like to share?!

Dave

P.S.- I guess you could pop a center in the headstock socket and feel it into center...but that's not always possible when you're chucked up on something you don't wanna remove

Back