What's new
What's new

What is a PH Tool??

fettersp

Aluminum
I have a program that has a comment for PH-tool-.008R.
The person that made this program is no longer around.
I know that this is going to be for hard turning but I have no clue what PH tool stands for.
by the looks of the print I thought it would be a job for a boring bar with ceramic insert.

I know that this is going to be for hard turning but I have no clue what PH tool stands for.
by the looks of the print I thought it would be a job for a boring bar with ceramic insert.
It could be for small diameter bores like on the style of a micro 100 style carbide tool. Are the bores relatively small diameter and smaller parts?

Gibberish that relates to some specific P.Horn tool? Popular brand for grooving inserts and boring tools but same.

the hole is .317 inches at its smallest.
I do have micro 100 and accupro boring bars but idk how I feel about using those on hardened m2 steel to 60rc.
the through hole is .317 that comes out to .470 in the x. the transition is only .07 in depth.
when I get home ill post a pic of what I am talking about

Zoomed in on the image, and it's still a little indistinct due to how crowded that view is, but I'm guessing the tool needed would be a short .008" full radius grooving tool, and likely an end-mount insert that attaches to a boring bar.

This is exactly the sort of tool that PH Horn makes, so contact them on Monday. Send them a computer file with the geometry needed, not just that image, so they can recommend the right tooling.

[Edit: it's still early enough, give them a call today]

[Second edit: D'Oh! It's Saturday, never mind. When you run your own shop every day is a work day...]

Last edited:

I'll speak to my admittedly limited experiences.

Forget what the previous guy did, and program a tool path that fits what you need it to do, for the tools you have or can get now.

I went in to a shop that the previous guy was programming horrendous lead ins, large Radius entries, and pauses on all the moves, so he could be sure that they would not cause a crash.
Great, except when you went to run his programming, it took an hour of slow motion moves to get 10 minutes of cutting done. Painful! Really really painful!

If an .008" radius makes sense, find a suitable tool, and have at a path that makes the best use of it.

Otherwise, you need the set-up sheets that went with the original program, if you hope to have a chance!

Just for the record, because as machinists, we should strive to be technically correct, the company is Horn USA, not PH Horn. PH Is the logo (Paul Horn) that they put on their containers, but is not in fact a part of the name. The website is Horn USA, not Paul Horn Horn USA.

Back