What's new
What's new

what is the proper grease for IKO linear rails?

tomjelly

Stainless
I got a machine in here with IKO linear bearings with grease fittings that I'd like to grease, what is the correct type of grease for that?

Attachments

• 2020-06-08 15.15.32.jpg
    2020-06-08 15.15.32.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 93
We use Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 on our 2006 Hardinge VMC. We used to use cheap grease until we started having problems with the system. The Kluber is what the manual recommended and it's cheaper than rebuilding the linear ways. If it was on something else that wasn't as demanding and easier to keep an eye on the trucks, I'd use Lubriplate 105.

This is a router with no way covers, it stays pretty clean,no coolant,a the fittings are easily accessible and most are right on the bearings themselves (only one has a line running to it). Needs to come in cartridges for a grease gun though. That kluber is spindle grease and the lubriplate is more of an assembly lube I think...

Grease on uncovered linear ways working in sawdust is pretty sketchy. I think I would use an aerosol dry lube sprayed on occasionally and sparingly.

Stuart

This is a router with no way covers, it stays pretty clean,no coolant,a the fittings are easily accessible and most are right on the bearings themselves (only one has a line running to it). Needs to come in cartridges for a grease gun though. That kluber is spindle grease and the lubriplate is more of an assembly lube I think...

It very well might be, but on our VMC the spindle is sealed and the grease is only pumped to the ways. The lubriplate is an assembly lub, but it has similar viscosity and qualities, and it is often recommended in other mechanical applications.

I'm not sure what your OEM would have recommended, but when I think of greased ways, you mainly want something that won't dry out and leave a sticky surface for dust and chips to stick too on the rails (which in turn can get transferred to the bearings). Greased ways and oiled ways often use the same bearing trucks, so you want a grease with similar properties to way oil. I'm not fond of greased ways but my understanding is that they are supposed to work the same, they just don't use as much lub as oiled systems.

Back