What's new
What's new

What’s the deepest you sunk your Haimer probe into your work?

ripperj

Stainless
Been a long time since I broke a probe tip. Wasn’t even a nice gentle horizontal over shoot, full speed Z dive into the work :)
I replaced and calibrated the new tip... seems fine
9eb1bc23736a349e247fe98a66d2e127.jpg
ba3cd4874fd58e953ead15bfdfdca8a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, those were for on the saw, I was tweaking my saw square.
The broken tip was the result of me trying to swap to a different tool offset, I mistakenly thought that If I typed “H16” and hit enter that my Fadal Z would read out with Tool 16 offset, nope... I’m assuming it tried to get to zero through the work and vice, I hit the feed hold, but about -.500” too late.
Obviously lesson.... don’t type commands that your are not 100% sure what the result is

Ouch! I haven't buried one yet, usually I just drop them. :o

Bit off topic though, how do you like those Piranha Jaws? They look real interesting.

-Ron

So far I like the jaws, I was previously using Mitee Bite jaws, the MMM are much better machined, the Mitee Bite ones weren’t flat, and most jobs require at least one Op using the flat part of the jaw on a finished surface.
Hopefully they will hold up a while. They should , I most work with aluminum and use a torque wrench to tighten the vise

I don't know, but my boss managed to bury the laser nozzle impressively deep in a piece of aluminum.

And there’s me thinking this was an OT thread about alien abduction, at least I’ve a name for the probe now, now how do you travel all the way across the galaxy to deliver the “haimer probe”
Mark

So far I like the jaws, I was previously using Mitee Bite jaws, the MMM are much better machined, the Mitee Bite ones weren’t flat, and most jobs require at least one Op using the flat part of the jaw on a finished surface.
Hopefully they will hold up a while. They should , I most work with aluminum and use a torque wrench to tighten the vise

Thanks, I might give those a try.

-Ron

Lesson learnt, do not use your Haimer as a hardness tester.

Better yet, don't use your Renishaw RMP60 probe as a hardness tester.

Back