What's new
What's new

What size nut for table saw arbor?

Cls89

Plastic
I lost the arbor nut for my table saw. I am trying to figure out the correct size, so I can get a replacement. I measured the shaft / arbor that receives the nut. The arbor / shaft diameter measures 15.9mm. The thread pitch is 2mm. What size nut do I need? Also does left vs right hand nut matter?

It’s a craftsman table saw. Model number is 351.221160. The label on the saw reads 5/8 blade arbor. I’m assuming it’s a 5/8 nut? Just not sure about the thread dimensions. Coarse vs fine. Right vs left, etc

Probably 16mm x 2.0

Direction makes a difference RH or LH.

You want hand of the screw to self tighten while running.

I tried an M16-2 nut. Didn’t fit. I can start it, but it only goes about a quarter of a turn before it stops. I didn’t think about RH vs LH. How do I figure out if it should
be RH or LH?

Old craftsman, probably a standard thread size. New craftsman, likely metric. Threading a right hand nut onto a left hand thread will make for an impressive locking fit, however, it will be a one time fit.

Lay your thumb along the shaft with your thumb and pointer finger making a slight V shape. If the thread follows the pointer finger of Your left hand, it is left hand thread. If it follows the pointer finger of your right hand, it is right hand thread. Works for augers too

NO, you want the hand of the nut to match the thread on the arbor. Duhhhhh!

Perhaps too obvious an answer:

Craftsman parts | Sears PartsDirect

And there were other sources of Craftsman parts. I am not completely sure which may be the official one, but if the nut fits .....

Probably 16mm x 2.0

Direction makes a difference RH or LH.

You want hand of the screw to self tighten while running.

Unfortunately Sears and Craftsman don't sell the nut anymore.

At this point the things I know about the nut. The diameter of the shaft that receives the nut is 5/8. The thread pitch is 2mm. It is a right hand nut. I don't know if its an ACME thread though. Below is a photo of the shaft with a scale for reference.

TS ARBOR.jpg

Unfortunately Sears and Craftsman don't sell the nut anymore.

At this point the things I know about the nut. The diameter of the shaft that receives the nut is 5/8. The thread pitch is 2mm. It is a right hand nut. I don't know if its an ACME thread though. Below is a photo of the shaft with a scale for reference.

View attachment 304431

5/8" diameter but 2mm pitch? I doubt it... 5/8 - 11 is the standard 5/8 thread, which would be 0.0909" pitch.

Or, more likely, if it's truly a 2mm pitch, and the shaft measures .625, which is 15.86mm, then it's an M16x2 thread.

Also does left vs right hand nut matter?

CCjq.gif

You may wish to sweep the floor, then sift the sawdust with a magnet. This has never happened to me, but I know a fellow that found his nut this way.

My old Craftsman table saw I used to have had a 5/8-12 Acme left hand thread on it. IT was Acme. Of course the newer ones, who knows what thread they have.
IF Metric, probably a Tr trapezoid thread, similar to Acme but different.
Ken

You are in the United States. 15.9 mm is very close to 5/8. The top of the blade spins towards you. If the nut is on the left side of the blade it would be left hand thread because that would not cause the nut to loosen. Opposite for other side.
Did you really ask whether left hand or right hand thread makes a difference, and how to tell?
I believe my Craftsman radial arm saw has an Acme thread. That is more like a square profile than triangular.

Since you said they no longer sell the nut I have to assume it is an older saw. Sears is famous for discontinuing parts in my opinion however. My older Craftsman radial arm and table saw both have a left hand acme thread. It looks like an acme thread in the picture you provided but not sure because of the lighting. I would bet it is acme however since this was a common thread profile on arbors.

Have you checked Ebay and owwm.org ? Short of making your own using a lathe, I'd post over at owwm. There are lots of craftsman guys with info and maybe parts if you get lucky. Dave

Take a piece of lead and a hammer and make a good deep imprint of the thread. Find a machinist with a thread gauge and have him measure the pitch. He will tell you it is left hand acme and the pitch will not be metric on that saw. Once you know what size it is for certain you can search for a replacement.

You can also use a chunk of Bondo, Epoxy, hot plastic, etc to make an imprint. The imprint won’t lie.

Denis

Take a piece of lead and a hammer and make a good deep imprint of the thread. Find a machinist with a thread gauge and have him measure the pitch. He will tell you it is left hand acme and the pitch will not be metric on that saw. Once you know what size it is for certain you can search for a replacement.

You can also use a chunk of Bondo, Epoxy, hot plastic, etc to make an imprint. The imprint won’t lie.

Denis

Ficked it right up for you....:D

The picture shows the thread form is Acme and the pitch is a little more coarse than 2 mm. So you want a 5/8-12 Acme (a common thread for saw arbors) nut and maybe the proper blade washer, too. I cannot tell from that one picture if it is left or right hand.

There are 4 nuts for that brand of saw on eBay now, but they had several different companies make their saws over the years. None of the eBay listings give the thread specs.

Here is some info you can sort through: Replacing 5/8" arbor nut for my table saw - by Michael Kramer @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community
If the thread is LH, this is a source for a new nut: UniNut @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

Larry

Back