What's new
What's new

What steel for bushing driver?

Twraska

Plastic
I need to make some tooling for a cotton picker spindle press. The tools will R&R 1/2” ID bushings and then press on a lock collar. I’ve made them before out of whatever was laying around but the tool was never expected to do more than a thousand or two. This set I intend to make I’d like to last several thousand pieces. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tim

My go to general purpose hardened steel is 4340 HTSR it should be around 28 RC. Turns nice, doesn’t rust too bad and is durable with no extra processing required.

I need to make some tooling for a cotton picker spindle press. The tools will R&R 1/2” ID bushings and then press on a lock collar. I’ve made them before out of whatever was laying around but the tool was never expected to do more than a thousand or two. This set I intend to make I’d like to last several thousand pieces. Any thoughts?
I'd make it out of 316 so that when someone left it out in the rain for two weeks, it didn't turn to a lump of rust.

I'd make it out of 316 so that when someone left it out in the rain for two weeks, it didn't turn to a lump of rust.

Rust shouldn’t be a problem, press is inside and these things are greasy, even after rinsing in parts washer.
If 316 will hold up to use I’d have no problem using it, just don’t need it for it non-rust property.

I would use ETD150. Slightly harder than 4140HT and very easy to machine.

If using it in a press the steel properties are not too critical. If you will be hammering on it that is a different story.

Back