What's new
What's new

What are these Dies called?

Erstwhile

Aluminum
Found this set of old dies and a handle, was wondering if someone knows the actual name of them?
3bfed21eda51b4063eb3df4a652041ca.jpg
1e9497748909dc20f3e40bb6b80cbd16.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They were always known as "Whitworths stocks"....and are not a bad idea.....the dies dont get lost,and thread size is adjustable easily.....often made in an offset form with a screw for adjustment and fixed handles.....I would think there were dozens if not hundreds of different makers over the years.

They were always known as "Whitworths stocks"....and are not a bad idea.....the dies dont get lost,and thread size is adjustable easily.....often made in an offset form with a screw for adjustment and fixed handles.....I would think there were dozens if not hundreds of different makers over the years.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You can also see where the idea of calling dieholders stocks came from......a bit like the stocks on the village green for micreants.

Parallel evolution from the same source. Sounds like penal stocks and gun stocks both come directly from the Germanic "stick or log", while die stock cones along later, perhaps after the stock in gun stock expands to include other wooden handles.

I'm pretty certain I have some old catalogs in which these are called "die stocks". Although it wasn't any of the catalogs I checked last night.

"Old English stoc(c) ‘trunk, block of wood, post’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch stok and German Stock ‘stick’. The notion ‘store, fund’ (stock (sense 1 of the noun and sense 2 of the noun)) arose in late Middle English and is of obscure origin, perhaps expressing ‘growth from a central stem’ or ‘firm foundation’."

Even the round die holders were always called stocks and dies ,as were the pipe threading heads that used four chasers.....back in the day...........Im allowed to say that ,cause Im old.

Back