What's new
What's new

What are these reamers for? (stubby reamers with Morse taper shanks)

paroikoi

Aluminum
Hello. These two reamers came along with some machining stuff I bought a while back. Will you experts please let me know what these might best be used for? I'm trying to decide if I should keep or sell them. The shanks appear to be Morse Taper #2, or at least they fit snugly in my 10EE tail stock quill. Surely they're made for a different application, though, since the flats can't be used to prevent them from rotating by the stops in the quill (since the reamers are so short).

PXL_20210905_193834353.jpg

Here are more photos:

stub reamers - Google Photos

Thanks in advance,
Josh

If there is a hole through the center, they are counterbores. You took a bunch of pictures, but all of the side view, so no way to tell if they have a hole.

Larry

Larry was quicker than I was. Shanks are stub Morse taper. Counterbores have a square end, reamers have a chamfer.

Skully-Jones used to make holders that held these as well as counter bores with this short taper shank. There may be a couple of other companies that made them too. IDK. This stuff is pretty much obsolete unless you can find a holder. The adapter holder usually has a full morse taper shank on them. They do appear in epay once in a while. Ken

I have a pile new, but different - cross hole thru straight shank. They turned out to be production reamers for lifter bores in Mopar V8 cylinder blocks

There is important information on the shanks. We could help you a lot more if you would simply list the information on the shank.

There is important information on the shanks. We could help you a lot more if you would simply list the information on the shank.

That's why I took all the photos, as mentioned above. You're right, though, that I should have transcribed it here. Here goes:

930-27205-66 BCCO
M2 DIA. .9998
DHM282-6 ID514566

Barber Colman Company, perhaps? The 4 digit size suggests they are just standard reamers with a short shank, probably for use in a radial arm drill with an adapter that allows changing without extending the quill.

Back