What's new
What's new

what are these things really, they certainly aren't what they claim to be

bill noble

Plastic
These were in an ammo can marked "T-nut Pullers, burned, rust" Well the can was burned and there was just a little rust, but I can't figure out what they are really for - they aren't like the things I see when I look up "T-nut puller". they have numbers on them and are marked "made in England"
The items on the white background all have numbers and say "made in England", the ones on the black background in many cases look the same but don't have numbers on them and "made in England" - some of the items on the black background look shop made. the cylinder things screw together, except for the shortest ones that are end pieces
I have no idea what these are, but they must have some specific purpose - and it's not at all clear if this is a set, a few pieces of something else, or what? any clues?

Attachments

• 20210321_172847.jpg
    20210321_172847.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 547
  • 20210321_172733.jpg
    20210321_172733.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 20210321_172712.jpg
    20210321_172712.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 483
  • 20210321_172703.jpg
    20210321_172703.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 20210321_172925.jpg
    20210321_172925.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 433
about those threads on these things:

the 1" cylinders, MC 1008 ... one says "Pat Applied for", on another I can read W&W, which ought to be useful. the male and female threads are 16tpi, diameter is .490 to .491 which is nothing making sense to me. the MC1005 has the same threads, as does a piece with only male threads, MC818. MC1008 is 3 1/4 long, MC1005 is 2 1/4 long, the male threaded part is 1/2 inch long on either of them. so we have 5 pieces with a 16 tpi thread

MC1801 has 20 pitch threads, an a thread od of .4955, so that aligns with 1/2-20 MN201 is a female to female adapter with the same threads on one side, and a larger diameter 18 pitch thread on the other.

MX6021 has a different (apparently) diameter 18 pitch thread, as does MN103. The MN105 has 24 pitch, possibly 3/8. MN103 is bigger than MN105.

so I think the MN stands for Machine Nut ... they have the tri-slot top and are thin

here are the things I measured
it doesn't make any sense =- are these mill hold downs? drill press special things or what? do they have anything to do with the label on the can?20210322_231023 (1).jpg

What a suspicious bunch!

I've bought items from Bill, he's a straight shooter. And they've had some pretty notable fires in CA

Pretty poor thread title tho...

these items are from the estate of a good friend of mine who died last year, he was in his 90s. a decade before there was a major fire that burned his workshop and much of the contents. I helped him inventory thousands of items for insurance. These must have gone through that fire, and now that he has died, I am helping the family liquidate his estate. it would be easy to put all the stuff into dumpsters as scrap metal, and let the scrappers have the lathes and surface grinders, mills and whatnot, and the tooling, but that pains me to do, so that is why I take the time to clean things up and try to figure them out, so they can find a new home.

So, it is not strange at all that I occasionally list things that have been through a fire.

As I said up-thread, the ammo can containing these items was labeled "T-Nut pullers, Burned". I do not think it is likely that that is what they are, but the person who labeled the can is not available to explain. I figured "made in England" might help someone identify them. But if nobody can figure it out, I really don't have room for them, I can toss them as scrap. But I really don't want to do that.

maybe Pillars, but ??? it seems that there are three kinds of things in this collection - there are the rounded button like things, and there is nothing those fit into. they look like they would press against something soft. There are posts that thread into each other, with end pieces that use a weird 120 deg notch system for tightening, and their are various end pieces. then there is some apparently random stuff. The things that look like T-nuts are not normal T-nuts (well, T-studs), one end is angled by around 10 degrees, sort of like some hold down clamps. I think that is visible in the fourth photo of the originating post.

BTW, if the title of this thread is awful, what would be a better title ?

BTW, if the title of this thread is awful, what would be a better title?
I think the title is OK.
A little more description and "up for offers might be due.

No, I don't need them but likely somebody could make use of them.

There is a "for sale" section.

it appears your a scrapper, and came here to pawn off your scrap.

digger doug - I am not trying to figure this stuff out, and then sell by choice, I neither need nor want the money, this is for the estate of a good friend of over 20 years. I am spending a lot of my non-work time trying to save his massive hoard from the scrap metal bins, if I knew what these were, I'd offer them in appropriate venues. I occasionally ask for help when I cannot figure it out otherwise. I know how to get rid of scrap, it goes into the recycling bin, or we let a scrapper take it - is that how YOU would treat the estate of a dear friend?

Yea, that is what I was thinking. Tee nut (there are some in the photos) posts, probably for fixturing odd shaped parts on a Tee slot table.

And some other things got mixed in with them.

If you list the lot for sale here, I bet someone will have a use for them.

T-Nut PILLARS?

Good to lay a scale in such photos, perhaps 6" here.
The risers might be used as screw-together-build to be drop-in travel stops on a lathe or grinder.
The 155 nuts could be handy if knowing the thread size.
looks like one grinder hub spindle nut.
The whole lot might be handy whatnots for a lathe guy to play with.
looks like most are mild(not hard) but one cant tell from here, would be good to know they were file-hard or not.
Likely $10 would be a fair bid/ask for the lot.

Likely one would need to try different nuts/screw to find thread sizes

the 1" cylinders, MC 1008 ... one says "Pat Applied for", on another I can read W&W, which ought to be useful. the male and female threads are 16tpi, diameter is .490 to .491 which is nothing making sense to me. the MC1005 has the same threads, as does a piece with only male threads, MC818. MC1008 is 3 1/4 long, MC1005 is 2 1/4 long, the male threaded part is 1/2 inch long on either of them. so we have 5 pieces with a 16 tpi thread

MC1801 has 20 pitch threads, an a thread od of .4955, so that aligns with 1/2-20 MN201 is a female to female adapter with the same threads on one side, and a larger diameter 18 pitch thread on the other.

MX6021 has a different (apparently) diameter 18 pitch thread, as does MN103. The MN105 has 24 pitch, possibly 3/8. MN103 is bigger than MN105.

so I think the MN stands for Machine Nut ... they have the tri-slot top and are thin

the 155 nuts are 3/8 24

Back