What's new
What's new

What are these tools???

jetgirl1300

Plastic
Hello,

I'm hopeful that someone can help us out. My father passed and my mother and I are trying to go through the set of tools he acquired. He was a machinist at TI/Raytheon for over 40 years.

We are having a hard time trying to figure out what certain tools are and are hopeful you guys can help us out, just so we can research more information. At this point, we are clueless as neither of us knows much about tools. :confused:

#1 - Can someone let me know what the type of tool is? We know they are Craftsman and have A, B, C and D on them, but I'm not sure exactly what they are called other than that.

#2 - Is this called a threading die head with an extender? What information should we know in order to list this for sale?

#3 - What is this tool? Has no brand, but we do know they hold the end mills, just not sure what exactly it's called. What information should we know in order to list this for sale?

20210829_142923.jpg20210829_143753.jpg20210829_144026.jpg20210829_144038.jpg

Thank you for all your help!

1 is a set of adjustable parallels.
2 a geometric threading die head and adapter.
3&4 is a fly cutter.

The adjustable parallels are used to measure the width of slots and similar tasks. A micrometer caliper is needed to make the actual measurement. Craftsman is an OK, but not a premium brand, so less valuable than Starrett, for instance.

The Geometric type DS die head is probably a 5/16" capacity (they are made in several sizes). It is missing at least a few small parts (front trip assembly and cocking lever) but a machinist can easily make those. You might still get $150 for it. The extension has no value to most people. If you look closely at the side of the die head body, you might be able to read the Geometric name, the 5/!6 and the model DS or possibly DSA. A buyer will want to know those markings. The serial number does not matter. The diameter of the shank matters, and 5/8" is a common size, but not the only size.

Fly cutters are cheap. Maybe it cost $20 when it was new. They actually hold a lathe tool bit, not an end mill. They do the job of a large end mill.

Larry

Back