What are these two devices? Bought w Surface Grinder (Butterfly)
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What are these two devices? Bought w Surface Grinder (Butterfly)

New to this grinding and asking if anyone could help me out with what I can do with these...? Bought a Butterfly surface grinder and the 65 year old gent's father ran a Bridgeport, 13" lathe, grinder etc in a back room/shop of a 1930's Miami home for his co. to service various industries in the 1950's+. I broke the grinder into about four pieces and man-lifted it into the beater Maxima, barely. The standard box-base had to go via rented U-Haul van due to dimensions. The grinder had a tag riveted with the Butterfly Model No. "model number totally blank." A 12" x something, not that it probably matters to these two below.
    He passed 15 yrs ago.

Ok, got a manual grinder to rebuild. The two pictured below came with a lot of the basics. These were inside the box-base. These were quite rusty but I cleaned them.

The 1st (2 pics) with centers (for small shafts or end mill or drill and all sorts of other to sharpen/ grind? Anyone can share what is the dog or bracket for? It's a fixed "H" with a hole in center for the center! The two bolts can only tighten onto something in each wing of the "H"). I've got a Benchmaster Mill which maybe in horizontal set-up this might do some things?

The 2nd (1 pic) is cast with SB 1 and SB 2 on the feed tables each underneath and the base is SB-(blank, milled away). South Bend I guess. And I guess it's no use for my 1948 SB lathe. The 2nd runs radially w indices and the two tables the handles marked for thousandths. The 2nd also tilts so I presume I fashion something into the T-slot top table for grinding bits etc? What can go into the t-slot table? What would need to be advanced x-y (and radially) for a grinder? The base has slots for a table.

Are they both to be fastened to the grinder table to re-grind mills gear cutters etc?
    Any value to these on the marketplace for hobbyists? Thank you for any response.

1st has a (dividing?) plate w 30 holes outer and 24 inner, part painted base marked 8-281. It also rotates atop the base plate but without indices or any "Zero" mark on the base.

2nd

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They would be of greater value with a tool-and-cutter grinder, rather than a surface grinder.

The first item would probably be used to resharpen either arbor-mounted milling cutters or shanked cutters with centers. The work arbor (or shank) would carry a dog that engages with the H on the rotating/indexing center. The base swivels to accommodate staggered tooth cutters.

The second item is a radius grinding attachment. A work head (not shown in the photo) mounts on top of the slide. The two slides are used to position the corner of the cutter relative to the rotational axis of the base, and thus set the radius to be ground. The work head, and probably a positioning finger, does the indexing of the cutter to each successive tooth. Similar attachments can be quite large. The Cincinnati #2 radius attachment carries a work head that will take NMTB50 arbors.

As to whether they have value to a hobbyist, does that hobbyist want to sharpen milling cutters? Some do, some don't.