What's new
What's new

What is this toolholder used for?

Rex TX

Titanium
It's NMBT40, looks like it would hold a boring bar?
Slot is 1/2" wide, 1.445" deep

I can't imagine how that would be used.

IMG_2363.jpgIMG_2364.jpgIMG_2365.jpg

Last edited:
I can't imagine how that would be used.
Stick a 1/2" square of HSS in there, with an appropriate grind on the end, tighten down the setscrews, and go to town. As a boring bar, it would be limited to large, shallow holes. So it's probably intended as a flycutter.

Stick a 1/2" square of HSS in there, with an appropriate grind on the end, tighten down the setscrews, and go to town. As a boring bar, it would be limited to large, shallow holes. So it's probably intended as a flycutter.

I did consider it as a flycutter, but:

The slot is not slanted like most flycutters I have seen
The two SHCS are small - maybe 10-24 at best. To small to clamp a 1/2 cutter
The single large hole -3/8-16 is big enough to clamp, but there is only one.

I just don't think it would hold a cutter with any authority.

I'm guessing here, but the #10 cap screws are probably intended only to fine tune the angle of the cutter bar, for example, to get the ground cutting edge on the centerline (or slightly ahead of it, to avoid dig-in during internal cutting), while the 3/8" screw would be intended to do provide the clamping action.

I guess I agree that it doesn't have much holding authority. While a 3/8" screw seems (barely) ample to secure a 1/2" cutter, normally the cutter would be backed up against a flat, not two screw tips. And even if you permit the two screw tips to define a plane (they don't, really), they certainly don't provide any locating power for rotation within the plane. All that would have to come from the clamping friction.

So I still think it's a somewhat goofy flycutter tool, but would not be astonished if someone came up with a catalog photo of this thing being something fundamentally different.

Added in edit: A case could be made that it's a monstrously large spade drill holder, but I really do not believe that.

So I still think it's a somewhat goofy flycutter tool, but would not be astonished if someone came up with a catalog photo of this thing being something fundamentally different.

Yeah, that's kinda where I was when I started the thread. I hoped someone would say "Oh, that's a _________! Use one all the time!

I’m thinking it could hold some sorta bar for a treepan setup as well as flycutting. It's more normal for those to have a square hole in them though.

Spade drill holders usually have the cap screw going through the cutter and then the tool is pinched inside the holder… I dunno, never seen one like that.

Good luck,
Matt

Looks like something that could hold an indicator mount to verify square between the head adjustments and the table.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

I'm really surprised you guys don't know this one. You clamp a swiffer in it, and rapid traverse for cleaning.

They also made "blades" for it. Run it on high speed, for shops with no a/c.

you guys are way off . that's for a pre-cnc cotton candy machine . if you'd had any
carny-county fair experience , you'd know all about it. i believe that ones' in mint
condition....

they're usually covered in sticky, buttery goodness.

Back