What's new
What's new

What is this tooling?

You have to sign in to see it. It is from Bidspotter and since I don't want endless e-mails for upcoming auctions I didn't.

If you can't tell? Matters not WHAT they are.

They are of no use to you.

Man is the tool making animal.

Tools don't have the least klew how to make a man. Good servants. Poor Masters, tools are.

Learn and understand first. That part is free for the effort.

Buy what you understand later. Even outright junk is seldom "free".

But in order to learn, one must ask, right?

I recently was scrolling through auction sights looking to pick up some used tool holders for my lathe and came across these. Are they any good and how do they work? Below is the link to the listing
*Box Containing Assorted Lathe Tooling

They are obviously carbide insert tool holders for the lathe. But instead of the common square shank that fits an Aloris, KDK, Dickson, whatever toolpost they apparently fit directly on to some more custom toolpost or holder. From the photo that part doesn’t seem to be included so suggest you steer clear until learning more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently was scrolling through auction sights looking to pick up some used tool holders for my lathe and came across these. Are they any good and how do they work? Below is the link to the listing

"my lathe" ....Please explain more.

I've seen those interchangeable tip for boring bars, but never that style. Like said above^^^^ special toolpost, etc.
Sandvik makes some of those carbide inserted drills.

I've seen those interchangeable tip for boring bars, but never that style. Like said above^^^^ special toolpost, etc.
Sandvik makes some of those carbide inserted drills.

That is Coromant BTS, it was Sandvik's quick change system for turning tools, alongside Varilock, all before Capto was invented, so that would date it to the '80's through '90's. All well obsolete.

20 years ago they were common enough on Ebay, not anymore.

That is Coromant BTS, it was Sandvik's quick change system for turning tools, alongside Varilock, all before Capto was invented, so that would date it to the '80's through '90's. All well obsolete.

20 years ago they were common enough on Ebay, not anymore.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't take long for state of the art to fall away any more.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't take long for state of the art to fall away any more.

Perhaps, but when something really good comes around it doesn't go out of fashion so quick.

Capto was first released in 1989 (I think) and replaced both of those systems. 30 odd years later it is still king of the hill, the defacto standard on most new 5ax millturns and has been made into an ISO standard.

I am not a fortune teller, but I think it will be a long time yet before something better rolls around to replace it.

Back