What's new
What's new

What type of bolt will not seize into steel nuts?

AdamPrince2

Plastic
What type (Plastic, stainless, brass, etc) of bolts will not seize into steel nuts under high salt spray conditions? The bolts are small m6 1.0 and hold noncritical parts like plastic covers in wheel wells.

The steel nuts are already strongly welded inside the body of the car. The bolts are exposed to high wash and salt spray so antiseize tends to rinse off over time.

I remove the bolts at least once a year but inevitably one snaps off and needs to be drilled and tapped.

try 316 stainless bolts and neverseize

This is nothing particularly different than ocean going boats, but a boat would never have a mild steel nut .

You might try painting the nuts with spray zinc because they are going to rust onto anything

I assume that the screw goes through the nut and that the end is exposed. Stainless will probably work, but one of the marine bronzes would be better. Also as Mark mentioned, encapsulate that whole assembly, but at least the thread end and the engagement with a weak thermoset such as Loctite 222. Loctite may have an even weaker compound just for this. Because Loctite sets up in contact with metals and in the absence of air, the material on the end of the screw may not setup by itself. Warm the assembly with a heat gun or torch until its too hot to touch, about 140F. This will catalyze the material and it will setup.

Tom

I did a lot of boat pump parts years ago and we just used a lot of permatex on the threads / bolt heads, ETC and when they would come back a few years later they would come right apart . fyi alcohol well take of the permatex

I did a lot of boat pump parts years ago and we just used a lot of permatex on the threads / bolt heads, ETC and when they would come back a few years later they would come right apart . fyi alcohol well take of the permatex

Permatex is a brand name, not a product,

What was it that you actually used?

What type (Plastic, stainless, brass, etc) of bolts will not seize into steel nuts under high salt spray conditions? The bolts are small m6 1.0 and hold noncritical parts like plastic covers in wheel wells.

The steel nuts are already strongly welded inside the body of the car. The bolts are exposed to high wash and salt spray so antiseize tends to rinse off over time.

I remove the bolts at least once a year but inevitably one snaps off and needs to be drilled and tapped.

stainless would be better than steel. i have heard of steel bolts being silver plated to prevent galling on high temp conditions that would effect zinc or galvanized plating.
most just use antiseez but if washing off you might need a different alloy or plating instead. obviously you cannot put heavy plating of regular bolts as then they wont screw into regular nuts.
the bolts are made smaller to allow a heavy plating and still screw into nuts. a thin plating of 0.0002" is so thin it doesnt last long

I think DD was referring to Permatex form-a-gasket. Where I keep my sailboat there is power lift on the dock for a 25 foot fishing boat. We were having a heck of a time finding something that would stay on long enough to protect the hardware. The owner slopped on Permetex and it really held up well. Anybody who has used this stuff know how hard it is to get off things where you don't want it.

I think DD was referring to Permatex form-a-gasket. Where I keep my sailboat there is power lift on the dock for a 25 foot fishing boat. We were having a heck of a time finding something that would stay on long enough to protect the hardware. The owner slopped on Permetex and it really held up well. Anybody who has used this stuff know how hard it is to get off things where you don't want it.

many times i have seen grease put on a shaft so a collar would slide on by hand and not gall and many times years later the collar needed to be hammered off cause the grease dried like glue.
many times i have soaked the parts to wet the dried grease and the parts again slide off by hand
if nut and bolts have anti seez compound on them AND they were covered in roofing tar they might keep the saltwater from washing off the anti seez. thick coating of roofing tar thats dried obviously would make unscrewing the nuts and bolts much more difficult.

Pith, tar, similar compounds can cover and maintain parts for well over 100 years.
Most will readily come off with hot pressure washers.

Candle wax may work for years and hot water from the kettle will take it off.

Endless rubberised compounds may cover a prepped or waxed piece with an airtight cover.
Plastidip-type.

What are you doing that you need to remove these bolts every year ?

Repairs on the vehicle over almost 5 years of ownerships. There's about 10 bolts and almost everytime one or more is seized badly and snaps.

I like the idea with 200 series loctite to help prevent galvanic corrosion.

Every nut will seize after some time's It is depends on that what lubricant you used when you tight that nut very firstly..And stainless stell is the best option..used should use fabrics when you tight it..

Honestly, i like and use nylon bolts for similar rolls on my landrover, there easy to drill out and plenty strong enough for non mission critical hardware.

Bolt length is also your friend here, you want no more than you need to get through the nut, that potentially means putting the part in place with long bolts, then swapping out to correct length bolts.

I find copperslip anti seeze alaways work, secret is to then waxoil or pain over the nut - bolt sealing it from wash off. In fact i can honestly go as far as saying i have not had a bolt i have not been unable to remove since starting following that principal some 15+ years back.

That said, i use and positively remove all welded on nuts on the landy, whilst thats great for production line assy its a crap shot on old high maintenance machinery! Far better to use a replaceable clip on style nut or a nutsert, either way you need something replaceable.

Repairs on the vehicle over almost 5 years of ownerships. There's about 10 bolts and almost everytime one or more is seized badly and snaps.

I like the idea with 200 series loctite to help prevent galvanic corrosion.

I have owned many POS cars, and do all my own work.

I have the same salt environment you doo.

It's not a problem, your doing something wrong.

More likely overblowing the problem.
"Non structural fasteners multiple times a year " ????

Lugnuts get attention twice a year for winter/summer tire changes,
and those don't suffer salt problems.

I thought you were doing something unusual

I have never had never sieze wash off, if it has, stop buying the walmart brand and buy the real stuff, or stop being cheap with it

Back