What's new
What's new

What type of compressor oil?

no704

Aluminum
Blew a hose last night! Compressor was still running and with the blown hose was still keeping up to 80 PSi.
Anyway probably a good time for an oil change! Old 10hp electric with a V-twin compressor. What kind of oil should be in this? I'm Thinking nondetergent straight 40 weight? What say you?

I put a 7 day timer on the control on mine so I don't have to remember to turn it off nights or weekends. At least I'll probably be around if that happens...

Best to use an oil with rust and oxidation inhibitors (R&O) added. Remember ISO viscosity grades are not the same as SAE engine oil viscosity grades. Many turbine oils have R&O additives. 30wt engine oil might be ok in a Harbor Freight compressor, but not the best choice in an industrial grade machine you care about.

And... Its most likely straight 30 weight with a different label and a higher price.

I just use straight 30.. It comes in handy for so many things.

Please restrict your advice to subjects you know about. It is obvious oil is not one of them. I know you live in the woods, but if you try really hard and use Google, you might learn something.

It seems to have disappeared so I will repeat my advice. I have added a pipe nipple and cap to several compressors and gear boxes. This extended the drain port far enough out it becomes easy to get a catch bucket under it and not slobber all over the base and tank.
On my Harrison lathe the headstock drain port made a huge mess onto the vee belt. I replaced the drain plug with a ball valve and nipple with an elbow. I only insert the nipple when it is time to drain it since it sticks out so far.
Bill D

Went to Ace hardware and found "Compressor Oil" no weight specified on the bottle. Already has the extended drain nipple with 90. Unknown manufacture, has a Bauldor 10Hp motor on it..

Went to Ace hardware and found "Compressor Oil" no weight specified on the bottle. Already has the extended drain nipple with 90. Unknown manufacture, has a Bauldor 10Hp motor on it..

Garbage in ... Garbage out.
You never revealed the maker of the compressor, so how doo you
expect a definitive answer ?...:nutter:

Please restrict your advice to subjects you know about. It is obvious oil is not one of them. I know you live in the woods, but if you try really hard and use Google, you might learn something.

The Quincy compressor that I bought used in 1989 has been running with plain jane 30wt non-detergent MOTOR oil since the day I got it, and its still running just fine. Google did not exist then, and NAPA did not carry anything called compressor oil, its really amazing how many of those old compressors from the 60's are still chugging away today with such oil abuse.

Back