What's new
What's new

what type of spanner wrench for this

what type of spanner wrench is used for this?
View attachment 244442

In its simplest form, a flat strip of metal, same thickness as the slots, minus a skosh, and long enough to project well-out for a place to grip. No, that is not a "screwdriver and hammer". See kitchen or bathroom sink drain wrenches. Not all wrenches need be drop-forged, IOW.

A better match, same-again with a relieved center to the span so the drooping ends engage fully, down the angled slots, not just at the uppermost tips.

Mounting either to a "handle", optional.

See also battle rifles, 1870's and "fixed ammunition" era, onward, wherein the primary "tool" expected and slotted-for was the rim of the cartridge case that fed the given firearm.

If you didn't have at least ONE of those, there wasn't seen to be any POINT in trying to effect a field repair, anyway. All you had was a club. bayonet only maybe.

One can PROBABLY open or close this critter with the cuff of a shirt, the soft side of a shoe or boot-top, a washcloth or towel, most anything else as will grip in the slots and protect the hand applying some modest force.

See also face or castellated spanners of the sort used on the round, not hex, ER family collets, and "not only".

Not exactly rocket breeding unless you want it to be, IOW.

:D

Yah, a piece of flat bar milled (or filed) to fit. You don't even have to relieve the center as this plug drops away from the slot in the center instead of rising above the level of the slot.

One cheat you can use is a pair of needle nose vise grips. Open them and insert the tips into the milled slots. Then use an adjustable wrench or small bar to turn the vise grips and nut. Choke up as close to the nut as you can.

A quarter and a pair of pliers will unscrew those if not too tight. There's probably a custom face spanner that fits exactly but good luck finding one to order, one can be easily made with a lathe and milling machine with an indexer.
Dan

A quarter and a pair of pliers will unscrew those if not too tight. There's probably a custom face spanner that fits exactly but good luck finding one to order, one can be easily made with a lathe and milling machine with an indexer.
Dan

Even just TWO prongs of a tri-point Bergeon (pattern) watch case-back tool can be a perfect fit if one has or makes the right tips.

HF have a clone. A Bergeon it was-never, but it does work, and can be handy as all get-out for the modest price of it - this critter and a short-ton of others.

Thanks for all the great reply's.I didn't think that anyone made a wrench like that, but thought I would check anyway. I think I'll just go ahead a whip up a custom one on the mill with some scrap. Again thank you.

For fast and quick,
1)smear some turtle wax or oil on the the cap
2) clean/rough up the flat stock you’re going to use.
3) $5 two part puddy
4) make a splash and mill it.

It takes all the guess work out of making your wrench. If you don’t push the cutter to hard and get the part to hot, it will hold and your new wrench will be an exact match in minutes.

Andy

Several companies make "face spanner wrenches". They come in 2 styles either adjustable or fixed. I have several different sizes of the fixed style. Some have round pegs some have rectangular pegs.

Here's a link to an adjustable style with different size pegs:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-Facom-FA-118A-Spanner/dp/B001VXTV82

Yabut.. look at the costs, that Stanley is near $140 per.

I have an elderly genuine Bergeon from a 1974-84 Day Job era - held-back for precise work as they are near two hundred bucks, nowadays.

https://www.esslinger.com/genuine-bergeon-jaxa-case-wrench-watch-opener-tool-2819-08/

But also an under six dollah Horrer Fright clone of it for use around the shop:

Watch Case Opener

And even Wallymart has a device that can WORK or be "made to work" for right about three bucks:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yaheetec...ner-Opening-Wrench-Repair-Waterproof-Remover/

Back