What's new
What's new

What is this (Union Tool Co.)

StarCommander

Plastic
A friend of mine purchased a small lot of tools which included of several different sizes of these (photo below). Based on the fact they were bundled with several small 2-6 in. rules I suspect that these are some sort of small fixture for a rule.

Can anyone provide any more information on what these are and their intended purpose

IMG_20190620_170120.jpg

After doing a little research on these keyseat clamps it appears that the majority of them have the slot which accepts the steel rule machined into the flat side. This set has the slot machined into the tapered side. Is this just manufacturers preference? or are these designed for a more specific task?

After doing a little research on these keyseat clamps it appears that the majority of them have the slot which accepts the steel rule machined into the flat side. This set has the slot machined into the tapered side. Is this just manufacturers preference? or are these designed for a more specific task?

So they accommodate a larger shaft without relying on just point contact of the tips.

So they accommodate a larger shaft without relying on just point contact of the tips.

Sami I remember making my own set as an apprentice. Years later when I got a job as a marker out they came in very handy. I had a lot of large key ways to mark out so the rule clamps and a box square got used all the time.

Incidentally I had one of those scribers in the " Starrett " illustration but after a life time of scribing the point was substantially shorter than that one ! Even after only ever sharpening it on an emery stone.

Regards Tyrone.

Incidentally I had one of those scribers in the " Starrett " illustration but after a life time of scribing the point was substantially shorter than that one ! Even after only ever sharpening it on an emery stone.

Regards Tyrone.

Over the years I've done the same with many Lambsfoot pocket knives, …………...and still occasionally on coming across a pensioner with a blade the size of a broken matchstick that never made the scrap bin, half - sorta ponder ''is there a bit more life in that?''

Back