What's new
What's new

What were these collets made for?

crossthread

Titanium
I picked up these collets and holder for $1.00 at a yard sale. Couldn't pass it up because I am such a pack rat. I have never seen a set like this and I was hoping someone could tell me what they are for. The collet "chuck" has a 1/2-24 threaded mount. Everything else looks pretty standard as far as the collets themselves and the closure. I can't imagine that they were designed for a lathe but perhaps I am wrong. Any stock would only go back to the arbor which would only be about two inches. Thanks.

1.jpg2.jpg

My question really has to do with the "chuck". It looks like this is made to screw onto something like a Morse taper or R-8 threaded shank. I thought about a mill but I just can't see any need for them.

The collets are generic and can be used to hold almost anything. If they are ERs, then holders are easily available everywhere.

The holder and it's nut are specific to some, unknown machine. It is only worth something to someone who has that machine and needs it. The nut does not appear to be a standard, ER style nut so it can probably only be used with that, specific holder.

I would immediately give you $25 for the lot and pay for the shipping. I say this low amount because the condition of the collets is unknown. And they just may not be standard ERs.

The collets are generic and can be used to hold almost anything. If they are ERs, then holders are easily available everywhere.

The holder and it's nut are specific to some, unknown machine. It is only worth something to someone who has that machine and needs it. The nut does not appear to be a standard, ER style nut so it can probably only be used with that, specific holder.

I would immediately give you $25 for the lot and pay for the shipping. I say this low amount because the condition of the collets is unknown. And they just may not be standard ERs.

You pay that much for scrap metal?

There is (or was) apparently a woodworking collet that is NOT an "ER". We had, as a test load, a router head with an induction motor rated to something like 18,000 rpm. It took a collet that was very similar to an ER, but appeared to be inch dimensions, different from an ER.

There was one collet in it, which we were using to couple to a specific item we were testing.

Let me take some careful measurements and find out if they are indeed ER32 collets. They are new and have never been used. I had to unwrap the one to get an image. Not scrap.

The picture isn't the best so its hard to make out the locking rim, but it doesn't look like a TG locking rim. Universal made a collet series that had a different locking rim from a TG, and I think the Universal is closer to what is shown.

A nice set of collets. It is easy to fit a fitted bar stock in your lathe spindle nose and bore a taper fit for such collets and cut the nose thread for that cap nut, yes have a draw bar to hold it in your lathe. or the same for use on a a mill.

likely someone would bid $20 for that set.

One can get a new set of knock offs for near that price...but not get the cap nut..
Cap nut may need spanner hole or wrench flats made so to be tightened enough for machining..holding cutters or parts.

A straight shank holder could be intended to be held in a chuck..In a 4jaw the holder/collet could be centered true..

Thanks to everyone for your input. Again, I was really more curious about how this particular set was designed to be used. It just seems that with a 1/2-24 threaded mount the whole assembly would be unstable. This is what I use for collets currently and it works quite well.

chuck1.jpg

chuck2.jpg

I have a feeling that it may be designed to work in a mill or drill press. My mill uses R-8 tooling and I have the normally supplied R-8 collets. I don't see any advantage to using ER collets in a mill or drill press either for that matter. Maybe I am missing something.

Back