What's new
What's new

What Works to Remove Rust Stains from Concrete

gjrepesh

Cast Iron
I had some metal items on the driveway for a long time. I finally moved them and now have rust stains on the driveway. What have you used to successfully remove rust stains from concrete?

I had some metal items on the driveway for a long time. I finally moved them and now have rust stains on the driveway. What have you used to successfully remove rust stains from concrete?
hardware stores sells stuff to remove rust caused by rusty water from lawn sprinklers on concrete. have no ideal what it actually is

Muriatic acid will do it. Dilute it by 50/50 or less. What you will get is a bright clean spot that does not match the age of the surrounding concrete.

might be oxalic acid
Cleaning
Oxalic acid's main applications include cleaning or bleaching, especially for the removal of rust (iron complexing agent). Its utility in rust removal agents is due to its forming a stable, water-soluble salt with ferric iron, ferrioxalate ion.

A jackhammer.....and a premix truck soon afterwards with 10 yards in it.....:D

Seriously, there is a growing business in concrete staining, see
if the rest can be stained a dark color to match.

As said above, the cleaned area's won't match the rest.

hardware stores sell alot of stuff that is milder and basically bleaches stains from iron and mold. more of a color change
basement black mold they sell stuff you spray on and in a few hours its gone or rather its bleached so not easily seen. it does not destroy wall or dissolve concrete. its like removing paint. stores sell milder stuff where it gets soft and can be scraped off without destroying whats underneath

Search "Whink rust remover" on Amazon. It's 1-3% hydrofluoric acid. I use it to etch titanium.
Be extremely careful with it as it'll seep through your tissue and bond with the calcium in your bones, pulling the bones apart slowly and invisibly. Wear nitrile gloves inside thick rubber gloves and fully clothe your body to avoid splashing.

Search "Whink rust remover" on Amazon. It's 1-3% hydrofluoric acid. I use it to etch titanium.
Be extremely careful with it as it'll seep through your tissue and bond with the calcium in your bones, pulling the bones apart slowly and invisibly. Wear nitrile gloves inside thick rubber gloves and fully clothe your body to avoid splashing.

I think I’d rather have rust stains.

and what about your lungs ?
eyes ?
and where is this stuffing getting washed down to ?
Storm drain ?

Leave it in the bottle

Pressure washing did not remove the rust stains. I'll try the muriatic acid first. Not concerned about a little color difference. Its a driveway. Over time I'm sure things will blend. Thanks.

obviously many things like acids and bleaches are hazardous.
and many items are not that caustic but can still be hazardous. weed and pesticide chemicals and garage chemical like anti freeze can be very hazardous.
i used to do darkroom photography and one day i notice statue in small fish tank on its side so i stick my hand in and put it back top side up. within a minute fish starts doing circles and another minutes its on its side dead. my fingers had a little chemical on them from my moving photographs in the darkroom chemical trays. for years chemicals never bothered hands but obviously it was hazardous. used tongs from then on avoiding getting chemicals on my hands
another example is mushrooms. every so often you hear a woman collected mushrooms and fed her family a meal and they all got sick and died. the wrong mushrooms can be toxic but not caustic. just cause its natural doesnt mean its safe

farmers who irrigate minimum water amounts find eventually soil increases in arsenic and selenium and salts and it eventually poisons the land. excess water flushes away the salt and mineral buildup.
even salt water from the natural ocean if you irrigated the land with it the salt buildup would stops most plants from growing
all natural and obviously most anything can be hazardous

Back