What is worse,conterfiters or selling out a brand name ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Makes it HARD for a maker of such tools to know that the better they do their job, the fewer tools they can sell!

Big plus on the black-oxide 6-point impact ones. I avoid 12-pointers "in general" anyway for 6, 8, 4 and the odd "penta" socket..

I HAD crowfoots, but needed a crowfoot FLARE in 1 1/4" to get at a fitting as was a seriously awkward reach - down inside a water meter box - and special-ordered it.

"Overkill"? Once past the emergency, I more deliberately filled-out the arsenal by laying-in US and Metric crowfoot, plus the rest of the set as US & Metric crowfoot FLARE 7/16" / 10 mm up to 1 1/2", 30 mm, 3/8". 1/2", 3/4" drive.

ISTR I've only twice since had need of any of those.

You mean you don't actually mind needing "two sets of tools"?

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife worked 30 years for a wonderful Fortune 500 company that was family run but publicly traded. They failed to adequately watch their 6 and got bought-out. The company is still operating but we understand working there is unpleasant. Everything that made this company one of the very top-rated places to work went away.

I bought a Jacobs ⅝" ball bearing chuck with a #4 Morse taper for my tailstock and was disappointed; paid for a Mercedes and got a Yugo. If it were not for the tang the MT would freely rotate, and it will fall out if I’m not careful.

My theory is that companies are being bought and bled-out. Money is the only motivation. With the products we make quality is the most important thing, and we make no compromises. And yes, it does reduce our profit, but our name is more important than our bank account. I think this is rare these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Not completely true. [B]While GE hasn't made consumer products in the USA for many years they still control manufacture of appliances. Not long ago we bought our latest clothes washer from GE after positive experience with our GE dryer bought a couple of years ago.
    According to Wikipedia, GE Appliances was sold to Haier in 2016. GE announced last November that they plan to sell off their lighting business, so they still make light bulbs unless they have found a buyer. They still make a lot of industrial products like jet engines, MRI and other medical equipment, train locomotives, etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    " Just BUY THE GOOD STUFF. "

Would someone care to list who what are the "good stuff" now? A name used to project standards of the company. Not anymore. The name "General Electric" used to stand for a class of quality products. GE hasn't made consumer products for years, along with a lot of industrial products. Just a name. Sad.

Tom
    "Small" names may still do. Dumore TP grinders, McGonegal/Themac TP grinders both come to mind.

"Big" names are the ones that not only trade and "rent" and badge-engineer, but that vary by two different products in the same field or line - VFD's, power tools, etc.

So no - no longer as easy as it once was. One has to do research this month -and again NEXT month - in many instances.

The good news is there are so many folks who have an interest and/or have been pleased OR (more often..) NOT pleased, that the info is USUALLY already out there on the 'net when we go to check.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    You mean you don't actually mind needing "two sets of tools"?
    LOL! No, that was Miguel.

I have "a FEW parts of" a third set, even. Old BS, BA, Whitworth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! No, that was Miguel.

I have "a FEW parts of" a third set, even. Old BS, BA, Whitworth.
    Editing capability no longer being a site feature..

Before metric "caught on" in the USA - and was not expected to do, late 1950's/early 1960's - I had 1/32" sockets, and even 2 or three in 1/64" sizes.

I have "a FEW parts of" a third set, even. Old BS, BA, Whitworth. "Hand" taps & dies, but nowhere NEAR as comprehensive as those among us who trifle with vintage English two-wheelers need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GE appliances used to be competitive. As TD noted, sold to a Chinese company two years ago.The company still makes competitive jet engines, turbines, and medical scanners. There's hope.Far as I can tell, the gutting of American manufacturing hasn't been so much a race to the bottom price-wise, as a race to earn quarterly financial bonuses. The outsourcing to cheap and crappy suppliers was just a quick means to that end. Our tax and regulatory system (and corporate culture) has been rigged to care far less about making decent products for customers and far more for pimping a buck through buyouts, tax preferences, hollow mergers, outsourcing, letting communities bear the burden of pollution, dropping retirement and health plans, moving jobs to the lowest wage countries, cutting the substance from under once-great brands to get a few years of sales with lower cost, etc.Both parties promised to fix the preferential tax treatment for hedge funds -- nothing has happened except an even bigger tax break for all the banksters. Both parties promised to do something about the sort of financial abuses that have had a recession every 10 years or so -- nothing happened. Trump promised to drain the swamp. Instead the his cabinet IS the swamp. We were promised infrastructure to improve our competitiveness -- the only "infrastructure" that's much getting pushed is the Great Wall of Trump. Science is pretty much under attack, either directly if it's about alternative energy, climate, or genetics or indirectly with the cuts to R&D. No one in politics is discussing where the next great jobs will come from (as in past waves of progress with steam, electrification, auto, aero, computers and communications). Only that if you don't have a job, it's some Mexican's fault.It needn't be so. The essence of a free market is that companies compete to serve their customers; not to skim every unearned penny they can off the top by buying political favor.

9. Likes carbonbl, janvanruth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for the run-on paragraph. Seems the forum no longer supports line returns, at least for me?? Hope someone is looking at the no-edit, screwed-up links, etc. problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a story I heard the other day from a friend of mine who is a very respected design consultant in a niche but profitable field. So he said he had a couple of American high roller(finance type) guys approach him for a project. They said European Co. A make a quality, desirable but expensive product. We want to copy that product , make it in China and undercut European Co. A. My friend says, why don't you make it here? They laughed, " we want to make money not jobs". My friend also told them,"Here's what will happen,you'll do this, have a product made in China, and 99% of the time, the China Co. will copy your copied product, and then sell it direct ,undercutting you. His reply to those guys, "Go f*** yourself, "(maybe not those exact words ) So that's where we are, and I bet this is commonplace.

12. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Sorry for the run-on paragraph. Seems the forum no longer supports line returns, at least for me?? Hope someone is looking at the no-edit, screwed-up links, etc. problems.
    There is an "easy way" and a ahrd way" to provide SSL-cert-secured "https" instead of raw, unenecrypted "http".

Symptoms are that PM and its VB went "the hard way". if so, it may be a month before it is all sorted. or only another day or three.

Zope/Plone (a Python critter) uses the"easy" way by default. Essentially SSL-proxying itself.

I had been an early-adopter of php, (Drupal, in its Alpha & Beta days..) as it is really fast and sweet to CODE in. Also - for too many years - devilish hard to secure.

Compared to perl, python, html-embedded-in-C (Prayer Webmail) anyway.

Ruby / Ruby on Rails was about the same.

Eventually, I settled on Python and Zope/Plone. The last site I did "for hire" has been running around fifteen years with no significant alteration, so...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    GE has never produced the best of any product. Yuck. Had to get that out.

I dunno, I kinda liked the :
    1. Electrac Lawn tractor (the orange/white industrial model) and the front
    mount mowers were unique.
    2. 300 ton motorized wheels for off hiway trucks
    3. "top drive" electric drive for drilling rigs.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY
    GE has never produced the best of any product. Yuck. Had to get that out.
    A couple of friends drive choochoos. They luvs them GE locos, never want to drive another EMD. But the railroad doesn't give them that choice

16. Likes digger doug, Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long ago I saw this in firearms, names like Colt and Walther now sell small caliber guns with Zamak frames, and if you walk past a gunstore display case now they look to be filled with plastic star wars props.

Fast manufacturing using low cost material, net or near net shape so they don't have to waste money machining anything. Or money is spent only in the slide and barrel, the rest is plastic or zinc alloy and using MIM parts.

There a few exceptions, Dan Wesson still makes guns from forgings and barstock. And of course the high end hand fitted guns like Les Baer are still making guns with honor. The only new guns I'll buy that use MIM are one's with very low prices like RIA, the quality to price ratio is about right. But to pay $900 for plastic mainspring housings and triggers and MIM small parts, no way.

The famous owner who spent his lifetime building up a name brand reputation with hard and careful work has died, and his kids inherited the business and trade all that good reputation in for cash.
    Something like that maybe, and everything I said about guns carries over to other "Durable" goods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    " Just BUY THE GOOD STUFF. "

Would someone care to list who what are the "good stuff" now? A name used to project standards of the company. Not anymore.

Tom
    Tom has hit the nail on the head right there, …….IMO nowadays the biggest problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff, …….until the mid to late 80's I ''always'' bought Ridgid pipe and tubing tools, then noticed the quality dropping off, their old #105 tube cutters being a prime example, ……….at one time taking 3/32'' or less off the end of 1 1/8'' (28mm) copper tube was no problem, not a tramline in sight, not so the later quality. The same went for Imperial Eastman, ……….. Cleveland twist drills, and both Moore & Wright & Starrett.

Tool wise, looking back the writing was on the wall nigh 40 years ago, 1979 I needed a set of large size metric combination wrenches (in the 22 to 32mm bracket) for agricultural work, and at the time not having Britool, Bedford or Elora type money, (let alone Snap On )
    On the recommendation (the counterhand told me they'd sold plenty and not had any back - even from the known ''animals'' ) I took a punt on a set of Kamasa wrenches, - supposedly made in Japan, which looked and felt ''okay - good enough '' …..12 combo wrenches up to 32mm, in a plastic roll ;- £32 inc 15% sales tax ! AKA about a 1/4 to 1/3rd the price.

By some twist of fate I still have them all, and despite several of them being SEVERELY ABUSED !!!!!! they have stayed the distance and are all still ''in gauge'' ………….as to whether the same can be said of Kamasa today, I don't know as I haven't bought any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GE still makes some products, like jet engines and the like, but is actively and eagerly talking to anyone who is interested in buying them. Another product line not mentioned yet is motors...in a couple months the long-standing Peterborough plant in Canada closes, the Schenectady plant is long closed, and their Brazilian plant is most likely sold to the Chinese within the next year.

They are also selling the Waukesha engine line (look it up) and similarly the Nuovo Pignone compressor line is also up for sale.

The writing is on the wall for GE's manufacturing line. They'll probably hang on to medical stuff as it's high profit but otherwise....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

GE still makes some products, like jet engines and the like, but is actively and eagerly talking to anyone who is interested in buying them. Another product line not mentioned yet is motors...in a couple months the long-standing Peterborough plant in Canada closes, the Schenectady plant is long closed, and their Brazilian plant is most likely sold to the Chinese within the next year.

They are also selling the Waukesha engine line (look it up) and similarly the Nuovo Pignone compressor line is also up for sale.

The writing is on the wall for GE's manufacturing line. They'll probably hang on to medical stuff as it's high profit but otherwise....
    Yes, but you posted that "they don't make anything good".

as in NOW, and in the PAST.

Selling off to chinese is ANTICIPATING the lowering of quality.

Waukeshaw engine line ? probably the same as ALCO, buy the rights
    just to sell repair parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Your last sentence says it all

There is an "easy way" and a ahrd way" to provide SSL-cert-secured "https" instead of raw, unenecrypted "http".

Symptoms are that PM and its VB went "the hard way". if so, it may be a month before it is all sorted. or only another day or three.

Zope/Plone (a Python critter) uses the"easy" way by default. Essentially SSL-proxying itself.

I had been an early-adopter of php, (Drupal, in its Alpha & Beta days..) as it is really fast and sweet to CODE in. Also - for too many years - devilish hard to secure.

Compared to perl, python, html-embedded-in-C (Prayer Webmail) anyway.

Ruby / Ruby on Rails was about the same.

Eventually, I settled on Python and Zope/Plone. The last site I did "for hire" has been running around fifteen years with no significant alteration, so...

I really don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about,but your last sentence cleares it up.If the system is working fine ,what do you need a programmer for? So for job security ,the programmer makes it better with "updates" Edwin Dirnbeck

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by edwin dirnbeck View Post
    If the system is working fine ,what do you need a programmer for? So for job security ,the programmer makes it better with "updates"
    It's this current craze for ssl. SSL does nothing for people browsing sites like this one. But google is pushing the hell out of it because it ensures that no sites or isp's can substitute their own advertising. It's totally screwing up older browsers, older operating systems, and anyone who uses proxies but what counts is google advertising. And they have the masses convinced that "security !" is somehow served by this charade.

It's a fraud. A fraud that causes suffering for us, but what do they care ? We're just peons.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    It's this current craze for ssl. SSL does nothing for people browsing sites like this one. But google is pushing the hell out of it because it ensures that no sites or isp's can substitute their own advertising. It's totally screwing up older browsers, older operating systems, and anyone who uses proxies but what counts is google advertising. And they have the masses convinced that "security !" is somehow served by this charade.

It's a fraud. A fraud that causes suffering for us, but what do they care ? We're just peons.
    It isn't screwing up anything at all IF one already has all adverts, trackers, and google font and script sources blackholed.

Oh, yes. .. one thing. One can no longer grant a "like" on a site like PM.

BFD.

Pages load around a hundred times faster over a modest bandwidth uplink when a(ny) browsers is "served" all those multiple-thousands of advert/malware off-site links from "localhost", 127.0.0.1 and/or "Privoxy" takes an "active" approach to filtering unwanted patterns.

I didn't "do that" JUST for PM. The custom css stylesheet to improve layout for faster reading, yes.

But the blocklists?

Not much atall. 99%+ were already blackholed before I first-ever logged in to PM.

Use of shopping, supplies ordering, banking and brokerage services dictated those lists be put into place ages ago.

Some among us like to be able to order parts, trade an equity, or pay our bills in peace, y'see.

2CW

24. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the stock price is in the basement so investors must be reading that writing on the wall.