What's new
What's new

What Would This Backplate Be Used For?

LKeithR

Stainless
Picked this backplate up with some other stuff. I've never seen anything like it before. Does anyone have
any idea what it might have been used for?

It's a D1-6 size--those pins are 3/4" diameter and about 3" long. Looks to be a production piece, not something
home made...

Attachments

• 20191015_190225.PPAC.web.jpg
    20191015_190225.PPAC.web.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20191015_190139.PPAC.web.jpg
    20191015_190139.PPAC.web.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 209
Picked this backplate up with some other stuff. I've never seen anything like it before. Does anyone have
any idea what it might have been used for?

It's a D1-6 size--those pins are 3/4" diameter and about 3" long. Looks to be a production piece, not something
home made...

Lots of things.

One that comes to mind is using the lathe's power and consistent spacing (think threading capability) to drive a form or bobbin on which to wind coils of electrical wire or of metallic tubing.

"Lathe-like" machines specifically for winding coils usually do this work for volume makers, but there are always lesser-volume niches, repair/replacement challenges, R&D or pilot programs, and/or heavier gages than usual.

I'm sure there will be other possibilities.

Left over from an engineers wet dream failure.

This could have been a driving plate to use with straight dogs instead of the normal "bent" dogs we are most familiar with. Last, the straight dog may be a "close fit" with the driving pins to prevent the part from rotating when reversed like in a threading cycle on a lathe when reversing and the half nut stay engaged. Was going to say this may have been used on a grinding machine, but most of them that I've seen have a A-series mount, not a D-1 mount.

Ken

Especially suitable for these style dogs - by B&S

At least the larger ones....

Those are nice, and proper. I used a steel ring, drilled and tapped, and I welded some bar stock I had laying around to it. Worked fine, but won't win any ribbons...

I picked up the D1-6 backing plate, complete with all the camlocks, for $20 at a local shop sale going out of business. One of these days, I'm going to find a 16" chuck for my Monarch, and that backing plate will be available, if needed. Until then, it's a dedicated drive plate....:)

I have one exactly like it. Came new with my polamco/toolmex AFM TUG40 18X80 lathe in 1979/80. Your photo is the second one I've seen.

I have one just like it, used as a drive plate for turning between centers. I don't own any bent dogs......

A family member once had a Cocker Spaniel that was that way. Or so her "dom" of a wire-haired terrier too-often tried to convince the poor creature.

You'd have to know Terriers and boredom enough to pounce up onto a living room sofa, snatch a corner pillow for partner, fling it onto the carpet, jump back down, "mount" it, and shag for dear life.

Just in case you thought Hollywood's human debris had the patent on weird.

:(

As to driving plates?

Any OEM faceplate with Tee slots and a sliding pin with a resilient-padded "fork" (stock hardware-store clevis + cuts of "heater hose", braid-in) to suit the working radius of a whole tribe of the "grinder-style" straight-tailed dogs is actually smoother and more cooperatively reversible as well as more adaptable to size. Most especially if working tapers, TS set-over.

An ignorant bolt, stack of warshers, 180 opposite is yer adjustable counter-mass, higher RPM's.

Gotta love the flexibility of legacy faceplates, after all?

Not the same as a Rzeppa CV joint drive, but close enough, far smaller, and dirt-cheap to DIY.

Back