What's new
What's new

What would you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR NELSON

Plastic
What would you use for oil pump shaft

I have a 1953 Super M Farmall tractor that I have to make a new shaft for the oil pump. There are no longer parts for these tractors or new oil pumps so you have to be able to find a good used one or try and repair what you have. The shaft on the drive end is worn .033 of and inch. I have some O1 drill rod .625 inches in diameter that will fit in the pump housing and meets spec for shaft clearance so pump housing is OK. My question is what shafting should I use? In my opinion the O1 drill rod is to hard. Possibly 1018? I did a test with a drill bit and the O1 was definitely harder than the original shaft. McMaster Carr has quite a variety of shafting/rods available. I am not a machinist by trade so metals are not my thing. Any help on this would be appreciated.

First I would put more in the title so folks know what it is you want to know.
I would think stressproof might be a good fit for this job, it is easy to machine and will likely outlast you.

01 is not hard, and will work just fine for that application. A couple holes and a key slot, simple dimple.

01 is not hard, and will work just fine for that application. A couple holes and a key slot, simple dimple.

What he means is, O1 is sold in the annealed condition, the softest possible condition. It can be easily machined. In that condition, it is probably not noticeably harder than common 1018. But O1 can be heat treated to make it as hard as a file, so maybe the piece you have has been heat treated. But annealed O1 will be just fine for making your shaft and will not need to be hardened after machining.

Larry

I have a 1953 Super M Farmall tractor that I have to make a new shaft for the oil pump. There are no longer parts for these tractors or new oil pumps so you have to be able to find a good used one or try and repair what you have. The shaft on the drive end is worn .033 of and inch. I have some O1 drill rod .625 inches in diameter that will fit in the pump housing and meets spec for shaft clearance so pump housing is OK. My question is what shafting should I use? In my opinion the O1 drill rod is to hard. Possibly 1018? I did a test with a drill bit and the O1 was definitely harder than the original shaft. McMaster Carr has quite a variety of shafting/rods available. I am not a machinist by trade so metals are not my thing. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Glasses....these will help you READ the stickies up top about a proper title.

If you can't read them either from bad eyes or plain ignorance, why should we take the time to offer help ?

Thanks to the ones that responded to my question. It makes me feel more confident in my selection of materials. My bad on the title. I have followed this site for quite some time and find a wealth of information here and new to posting. Thanks also for the suggestions on the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back