What's new
What's new

what are you guys using for inserted cut off/profiling

Joe Miranda

Titanium
So I wiped out my favorite inserted cut off tool yesterday - and I loved that thing. It was an ISCAR GHGR 19-3. It's a top clamp tool that you could push at .01-.015 per rev. or better. I can't find one anywhere. Is that because they have been replaced by something better? I was wondering what you guys are using? I loved that thing and used it for everything. I parted with it and turned with it and profiled with it. If I happened to have it on the tool post I would use it for most anything. Nuts!

Nobody had this in stock and nobody could say when it would be available. Found a suitable replacement at Shars.

Iscar is my favorite for parting tools from the small Swiss to the larger fixed headstock lathe. I would be very, very shocked if something from Shars even came close. Iscar isn't cheap, but worth every penny.

So I wiped out my favorite inserted cut off tool yesterday - and I loved that thing. It was an ISCAR GHGR 19-3. It's a top clamp tool that you could push at .01-.015 per rev. or better. ng. I parted with it and turned with it and profiled with it.

Are you cutting off at .01-.015" per rev !!?? That seems crazy fast for me. What material. General starting point is .001" infeed per mm wide. So this tool is 3mm wide .003 IPR is a good starting point in steel. I use a lot of GHGR holders and never feed them that fast.

Are you cutting off at .01-.015" per rev !!?? That seems crazy fast for me. What material. General starting point is .001" infeed per mm wide. So this tool is 3mm wide .003 IPR is a good starting point in steel. I use a lot of GHGR holders and never feed them that fast.

I have gone up to .005 IPR on a 2mm wide parting off 6061 aluminum and softer steels up to 2" rounds. Parting tools are the only thing I won't test the limits of as blowing up an insert quickly takes the blade with it and they are like $125 a piece even in the small size.

hi joe, what's the edp# on the package of inserts? let me see if i can help you out or find a comparable insert, thanks...

I am also in the market for a good parting tool. What Shars-supplied tool did you choose?

Denis

The SHARS PN is 18A0367. I was only able to find a .100 wide insert so I don't feel comfortable pushing it too hard but so far so good. I just had a part I had to groove over .625 dp. on a side and it was an interrupted cut and it worked like a champ at .002 infeed per rev.

Frank - the insert was 5mm (actually .157") and I would cut off at .005 plus in mild steel and profile at .01-.015". The tool loves to be pushed hard. Obviously I was overzealous on the last job. It wiped out the tool in a hurry but I had that thing for years so I got my money's worth. Too bad I can't find another one. Every place I checked that listed them in their inventory was "out of stock".

I used the Iscar TAG series (Tang Grip L shaped insert). I never go above .01 ipr but I use a chipbreaker for gummy material. They have a new geometry called the HF that is rated for up to .025 ipr!!

Joe I sell Iscar. They have over 90 in Texas. Edp# 2800261. I can sell it to you for $123.67 each. PM me if interested. My grandparents live in Elyria! I have a lot of good memories about that town!

Joe I sell Iscar. They have over 90 in Texas. Edp# 2800261. I can sell it to you for $123.67 each. PM me if interested. My grandparents live in Elyria! I have a lot of good memories about that town!

SSG - perfect - I responded to your pm. I am actually in LaGrange but Elyria is the closest city of any size that people might be a little familiar with so I go by that.

Back