What's new
What's new

What are your Injury Reporting Requirements at your shop?

ttrager

Cast Iron
I'm going through some internal Auditing for our ISO 9001:2015 surveillance audit, and I'm unable to find a specific reference I'm remembering (vaguely).

Generally, people in our shop go to one of any three people who have keys to the First Aid cabinet for minor cuts, scrapes, and insignificant issues. These go past the shop foreman, not reported to him. Severe lacerations or anything that sends someone to the clinic gets reported to the Foreman, and reporting to external parties occurs.

Is this consistent with how you do it? Or, is there a regulation somewhere that insists anything causing someone to need first aid, be it a minor cut, scrape, burn, what have you, should be reported to a supervisor?

Tried to peel into OSHA "fast" . . . and then laughed at myself once I started trying to sift through that.

Thanks in advance.

When I was at the refinery,all injuries to contractors happened in the street outside the main gate.......The refinery safety board had something like 5000 days without a reportable injury,and I can imagine the fuss if it had to be put back to 0 because of me.

I thought ISO only dealt with the product.
And OSHaHa only dealt with employees.

And never the (2) shall meet.

When I was at the refinery,all injuries to contractors happened in the street outside the main gate.......The refinery safety board had something like 5000 days without a reportable injury,and I can imagine the fuss if it had to be put back to 0 because of me.

Local contractors' version is "If you fall off a ladder you're fired before you hit the ground."

The threshold was a somewhat moving target. Lost time meant a recordable. Some refused to go to First Aid (lost time so recordable) even if their arm got torn off, others would go for splinters.

Recordables sometimes required a drug test so that likely influenced some people.

Must be locked ,or the druggies clear out all the pills,and general thieves take everything else .....so you have an empty cabinet when its needed......Key with foreman,first aid man ,and office manager....Thats it.

In my experience the procedure is very much governed by management attitudes and the size of the works. I've worked in places where there was an OH department with two full-time nurses, to places where there was a first aid box over the sink.

These days I just say "Ow!" and run indoors to my wife, who's a retired OH nurse.

George B.

Must be locked ,or the druggies clear out all the pills,and general thieves take everything else .....so you have an empty cabinet when its needed......Key with foreman,first aid man ,and office manager....Thats it.

Maybe you should reconsider who you hire...

I worked at a place that had the normal reporting rules. Technically, anything that drew blood had to be reported. Any injury, really, should be reported. But this company had what they called a safety award. If any department went 90 days without a reportable injury, every employee in that department received $150. Another 90 days goes by and no injuries, $300 all the way up to $450 where it stayed until there was a reportable accident. This served two purposes, one unintended. One, it made people more safety conscious. Two, LOL, it made people not report accidents. Unless of course it was bad to the point an ambulance had to be called.

LOL you guys talking about reportable incidents that actually happened .. .

Let me introduce you to "the near miss". . . where you report things that could have happened but didn't.

"A near miss is an event that could have been a workplace accident had things played out differently. Near miss reporting isn't required by federal OSHA but it is a common safety management practice. Keep a record of—and respond to—close call events to reduce the likelihood an injury or illness will occur." - first google quote I grabbed

The intent is good an based on a safety pyramid where there is typically a fatality for so many other type of smaller incidents (statistics). So the goal is to be hyper vigilant to anything that could cause injury and overall safety will increase. But in some rule based organizations it gets carried away and an untied shoe or a wet spot in the parking lot get written up.

LOL you guys talking about reportable incidents that actually happened .. .

Let me introduce you to "the near miss". . . where you report things that could have happened but didn't.

"A near miss is an event that could have been a workplace accident had things played out differently. Near miss reporting isn't required by federal OSHA but it is a common safety management practice. Keep a record of—and respond to—close call events to reduce the likelihood an injury or illness will occur." - first google quote I grabbed

The intent is good an based on a safety pyramid where there is typically a fatality for so many other type of smaller incidents (statistics). So the goal is to be hyper vigilant to anything that could cause injury and overall safety will increase. But in some rule based organizations it gets carried away and an untied shoe or a wet spot in the parking lot get written up.

I am thinking of those pics of the tool that got spun up and went through the machine door and the block wall.

No blood no foul.....

At my former employer, we had a couple young guys running a press they really shouldn't have been running. They pretty much were dumb, and ignored all the safety rules, etc. Sure enough, a steel bar exited the press fast and hit one of them in the chest and went in. It was a big fiasco. He was hospitalized and there was the usual drawn out discussions on what happened and how was he doing and all that. A pat phrase began to float around..."The doctor said if that steel bar had been just a little to the left, it woulda pierced his heart and he'd be dead!"

He eventually received a half million dollar settlement, returned to work and is one of those employees who can't be fired for life. He was never a good worker, and now he does nothing all day which is actually a good thing because whatever he touches gets broken.

But what I remember is about 5 years after the incident, I was walking through the shop with John. He was our senior ME who was a brilliant engineer and, like a lot of older people, made of much better stuff than they're using nowadays. I saw the chest-injured guy across the shop and made some benign comment like 'Oh, there's Mike. Looks like he's back to work.'

John never missed a step and just said, "You know, it probably woulda been better for everyone if that steel bar had gone just a little to the left..."

Nearly had a stupid accident yesterday......Ive sold the land ,and cleaning up ....anyhoo ,new owners millenial son has been deputised to help me and ,I gather ,to speed me up.....he claims to be an engineer......I explained that if I have to keep climbing in and out of the crane ,things are slow ,so this guy is sent to hook up for me......Everything he does is wrong ,Im still in and out of the crane ,and he just doesnt comprehend .......yesterday ,he failed to grasp an explanation of how a plate clamp works ,pulled the release cord while the plate is lifted ,clamp doesnt release cause its deigned that way ,but on the way down it contacts another object ,plate free falls ,and misses his toes by millimeters ,at most...I just froze ,waiting for the scream.... then he slings up an old lathe weighs 4 tons or so......crane lifts ,lathe slips in the sling onto its end.I just crash it onto the end of the scrap bin ,flip it ,and drop it in....Marvellous.OSHA,sure.

Back