What are your Injury Reporting Requirements at your shop? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many "near misses" are there across the USA in manufacturing in one day?
    How many non-reportables or just never logged.
    Slice a finger pulling out a chip and dripping a blood train to the sink ignored in some places and a major Haz-mat deal in others.
    If an employee did such and tad drops of blood in the machine.... Coolant disposal and change out?
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the semiconductor fab my dad works at he saw somebody splash a chemical in their eye, half assed rinse it out and try to hide it and returned to work.

My dad forced him to go to the hospital where they found it was a mix of acids that were mixed improperly and being dumped into a waste container, but they actually had to do a lot of work to neutralize it fully and repair/remove the damage so he wouldn't lose his sight.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    A locked first aid cabinet seems not right to me
    Yes true. One place they hated replenishing the first aid cabinet. Employees wrapped their hands and fingers with tape wherever they could find it and used shop rags. After a while employees bought their own bandaids.

Another place the guys had to go to HR who over time felt that money was saved by not restocking the first aid cabinet. Too it meant going and seeing her when she was not in a meeting and beg for supplies. After a time she had to throw a lot of stuff away it got so old.

Locked up prevents anyone getting a tourniquet and stopping bleeding in a terrible accident or clean bandages to wrap a bleeding wound and applying pressure. I called those people who did this kind of thing on that kind of stuff and left those places. It was insane.

4. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Yes true. One place they hated replenishing the first aid cabinet. Employees wrapped their hands and fingers with tape wherever they could find it and used shop rags. After a while employees bought their own bandaids.

Another place the guys had to go to HR who over time felt that money was saved by not restocking the first aid cabinet. Too it meant going and seeing her when she was not in a meeting and beg for supplies. After a time she had to throw a lot of stuff away it got so old.

Locked up prevents anyone getting a tourniquet and stopping bleeding in a terrible accident or clean bandages to wrap a bleeding wound and applying pressure. I called those people who did this kind of thing on that kind of stuff and left those places. It was insane.
    Yeah I get locking up pills or things of value but anything meant to control bleeding needs to be available at all times. And if it costs money, welcome to life. Safety isn't free.

6. Likes Trueturning, Winterfalke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First aid needs for obvious reasons open to all.
    A very big company did a real look at a free vending machine for aspirin, bandaids, etc on the floor.
    It ran into several roadblocks but the project did bootstrap the cutting tool vending machine............

I can not see needing to find the guy with the key for oh-shit times. Yes people steal stock but when the shit hits the fan that is small price to pay.
    One is my people will rob me. The other is when someone gets hurt bad.
    The first may happen a lot and a nuisance, the second rare but time to first aid may count.

There is kind of playing the odds here. Finger cuts, how often a cut on a chip and how often a trip to the hospital with tendons and bones showing?
    Blood sort happens which never concerned me for years. Then the health and safety big shop did all the worry stuff on bloodborne pathogens and that end of the world with days of classes.
    Where did I go with all that?
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    First aid needs for obvious reasons open to all.
    A very big company did a real look at a free vending machine for aspirin, bandaids, etc on the floor.
    It ran into several roadblocks but the project did bootstrap the cutting tool vending machine............

I can not see needing to find the guy with the key for oh-shit times. Yes people steal stock but when the shit hits the fan that is small price to pay.
    One is my people will rob me. The other is when someone gets hurt bad.
    The first may happen a lot and a nuisance, the second rare but time to first aid may count.
    Bob
    There seems to always be people who will steal. A owner gets sort of numb to it after a while and learns ways to deal with it to some extent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    There seems to always be people who will steal. A owner gets sort of numb to it after a while and learns ways to deal with it to some extent.
    It is normal and expected, you know who does it and you just deal with it and do some gentle talking.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, in my experience, when employers stop stocking the first aid kit because the supplies disappear, it's because people are routinely getting hurt and using the supplies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    How many "near misses" are there across the USA in manufacturing in one day?
    How many non-reportables or just never logged.
    Slice a finger pulling out a chip and dripping a blood train to the sink ignored in some places and a major Haz-mat deal in others.
    If an employee did such and tad drops of blood in the machine.... Coolant disposal and change out?
    Bob

Hooo, boyyy....