what's the deal with current chinese shipping?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default what's the deal with current chinese shipping?

i have been informed that several orders from china are "not available" . i've already paid for the stuff through ebay
    and amazon. mostly electronic stuff- vacuum tubes, plugs and fasteners- but it is now in limbo, and i need to know .

i can only imagine that with the disease crisis , i will be SOL if this epidemic goes on forever.

i am in no way indifferent to the misery the victims of corona must be dealing with, but i need my parts to stay in business , and paying retail for stuff doesn't fit the plan.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work pretty regularly with Chinese suppliers and manufacturers and have heard that the workers are being quarantined in their villages and can't get to their places of work. I've heard Feb. 10th as the date that the workers will be allowed back but I don't have a ton of faith in that estimate. I don't have any facts to back up my skepticism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been waiting a month for a package, and that was before the disease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other thread covers this well:
    Air Freight from China
    And from reading the updates there it looks like you are SOL.

5. Likes BugRobotics, gerritv liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In past years have you had problems getting things done during the Spring Festival(Chinese New Year)? Getting things done over there in the weeks surrounding the Spring Festival is impossible at the best of times and the government extension of the official festival dates to help quarantine efforts for this novel corona-virus certainly won't help.
    Last edited by TheOtherCami; 02-09-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: I can't English

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might worry a bit when you finally get those parts. Have they been disinfected? They don't even know how this disease is passed on.

I will probably give anything that I get that even may have come from China a good disinfectant rinse or bath for some time to come.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    You might worry a bit when you finally get those parts. Have they been disinfected? They don't even know how this disease is passed on.

I will probably give anything that I get that even may have come from China a good disinfectant rinse or bath for some time to come.
    It's in Washington, California, Arizona, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Massachusetts...disinfect anything from there while you're at it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently had some experience with getting products from China. I needed some treads for my skid steer and anyone who owns one knows that in the US they are a little over $1000.00 each. I found a supplier in China that would sell me some for less then half of that. They had a one year warranty, Kevlar reinforced, good reviews etc. This fell right in their Spring Festival. I got zero response from the company for a week. When I did finally get a response I was told it could take up to six weeks to get the treads. I called Ameritrax and got free delivery two days later. Of course I paid $1000.00 a piece but at least I am back up and running. You get what you pay for.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arbuckle View Post
    I recently had some experience with getting products from China.
    If you ordered from the US on December 22, what do you think would happen ? Try ordering some time that is NOT in the middle of the biggest holiday of the year.

Have you ever tried to fly on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving ? That makes the US undependable ?

Try this on May 14 or something and report back with a valid experience.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By May 14 I would be out of business. At least here if a company is shut down for some reason, they have the decency to let you know why and when they will be back in business. Something as simple as an automatic email reply stating their position would be helpful.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    At least here if a company is shut down for some reason, they have the decency to let you know why and when they will be back in business.
    I agree with you it would be nice, but have not had the same experience about getting informed. Some places do and some do not

A really good example of that would be the way Apple hid Steve Jobs illness for ages and ages. Or they will tell a story about how their workers are their most important asset, no no no we bought the company to run ! Don't forget to buy our stuff !

Then a week later the doors are closed,

And we've all had cases where the salesmen don't bother to call you back.

Some people are good and others are flaky, happens all over. Sorry they didn't tell you that spring festival closes the country, they thought everyone knew. Just like US people think everyone knows about Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter. And April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By May 14 I would be out of business. At least here if a company is shut down for some reason, they have the decency to let you know why and when they will be back in business. Something as simple as an automatic email reply stating their position would be helpful.
    Seeing how the Chinese have celebrated New Years as the biggest holiday of the year for about 9000 years I could see how you missed it 🙄

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post

Max is a little more then a week after that any corona virus on surfaces is dead. I would think internal and ship transit times would be more then that. The clock starts as soon as it is plastic wrapped or sealed in a box.
    Bill D.
    Coronaviruses can remain on surfaces for up to 9 days, study finds

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least here if a company is shut down for some reason, they have the decency to let you know why and when they will be back in business. Something as simple as an automatic email reply stating their position would be helpful.
    Cross - I have a vps with Hostwinds in Seattle. For the past week or ten days I have been having a terrible time connecting. Three emails to their suppport. Not one reply, not a peep. And they are not in the middle of a big holiday or a virus outbreak.

I'm cancelling the next time I can actually connect. Fuck them.