What's new
What's new

What's the difference between a car reamer and a construction reamer

. . . according to the depictions i'm seeing maybe the taper is shorter on a car reamer and the full reamer diameter present for a longer distance of the cutting length.

specifications i've found for these reamers don't include the straight cutting length so i'm guessing by appearance.

thanks

Then there are bridge reamers, which may or may not be different from the car and construction varieties.

Larry

View attachment 140726View attachment 140727

from what i understand, although the terms bridge, construction and alignment reamers are often used vaguely interchangeably, the bridge reamers have a hex shape to be driven by impact drivers with the same size hex as the nut for the shank size of the reamer.

Car reamers i never heard of. maybe that is railroad car and maybe they are more or less the same although all the ones i've found are taper rather than straight shank. not sure quite what that means. and by pictured appearance i think the taper is a little shorter and the non tapered cutting length longer. but maybe i'm imagining things.

Then there are bridge reamers, which may or may not be different from the car and construction varieties.

Larry

the picture you post from the dictionary looks more like a "car" reamer than what i'm seeing depicted for sale as "bridge" reamers. In fact it shows less taper than i have seen on any reamer available for sale.

the picture you post from the dictionary looks more like a "car" reamer than what i'm seeing depicted for sale as "bridge" reamers. In fact it shows less taper than i have seen on any reamer available for sale.

Yes, but you must remember that the American Machinist' Handbook, a competitor to the Machinery's Handbook, reveals the current knowledge in 1914. They would have used cuts (printing plates with pictures) supplied by the makers or sellers of the items pictured, and actually credited the source on some of the larger cuts. Things change, sometimes for the better, so it is not surprising that the proportions of such reamers evolved over the last hundred years. The two competing handbooks were published by two of the leading magazines for machinists and shop management. Another similar contemporary magazine was Iron Age, but I don't think they published a handbook.

Larry

Yes, but you must remember that the American Machinist' Handbook, a competitor to the Machinery's Handbook, reveals the current knowledge in 1914. They would have used cuts (printing plates with pictures) supplied by the makers or sellers of the items pictured, and actually credited the source on some of the larger cuts.
Larry
Interesting, I always thought of 'cut sheets' as being 'cut' out of a catalog.

Interesting, I always thought of 'cut sheets' as being 'cut' out of a catalog.

"Cut sheets" are sheets of paper that are cut to a certain size, like the common 8.5 x 11 letter size.

"Cut" is an old printers' term that dates from when printed pictures started from an engraved piece of wood or copper. I think the Chinese were doing it a couple thousand years ago. In the second half of the 19th Century, a process of making cuts from photographs was invented. Artists still make prints from wood cuts. When I was a newspaper photographer in 1958, the pictures I took that were photo-engraved on plastic sheet for mounting on the cast metal rotary printing press plates were still called cuts in the print room.

I own an old cut of a Springfield Machine Tool Co. (Ohio) lathe. It is similar to the one in Cope, page 167, Fig. 2, said to have been introduced in 1894. I reversed the image of the cut so you can see what the printed image would look like. The cut is 16 gauge copper glued to plywood.

Springfield lathe cut 1.jpg

The printer's dictionary of technical terms; a handbook of definitions and information about processes of printing; with a brief glossary of terms used in book binding
by Stewart, A. A. (Alexander A.)

Published 1912

Cut defined in a 1912 Printing dictionary.jpg

Larry

Construction = Structural ?
Here are some data sheets courtesy of Colvin and Stanley 'Machine Shop Primer' McGraw-Hill 1910
and 'Practical Design of Manufacturing Tools, Dies, and Fixtures' by American Society of Tool Engineers McGraw-Hill 1951

~Reamer Definitions 1.jpg~Reamers 1.jpg~Reamers 2.jpg~Reamer Definitions 2.JPG~Reamers 3.JPG

Last edited:
from what i understand, although the terms bridge, construction and alignment reamers are often used vaguely interchangeably, the bridge reamers have a hex shape to be driven by impact drivers with the same size hex as the nut for the shank size of the reamer.

Car reamers i never heard of. maybe that is railroad car and maybe they are more or less the same although all the ones i've found are taper rather than straight shank. not sure quite what that means. and by pictured appearance i think the taper is a little shorter and the non tapered cutting length longer. but maybe i'm imagining things.

I know this thread is old but maybe at that point in time there were not many articles explaining car reamers. So, yeah, I totally agree that Bridge and construction reamers are used interchangeably. So I found what car reamers are from this article online and my friend helped me out a bit. So car reamer is a term referring to a time when there were misalignments of holes in structural steel components. Car reamers were designed to cut on the sides as earlier misaligned holes in automobiles and railroad boxes required a method to create usable holes from two or more holes that were not aligned properly. The global construction industry has grown so huge with different kinds of concepts that it's difficult to keep tabs of all of them. A car reamer typically has 5 flutes when compared to bridge reamers and is slightly shorter which makes it very rigid whereas bridge reamer has a long lead.

Back