What's new
What's new

What's the name for this pulley?

Forestgnome

Stainless
I'm looking for pulleys to reduce the speed of driven shaft. Basically a large and small pulley together on bearings, like a cone pulley on a drill press. I've searched for sheaves, idler pulleys, cone pulleys, intermediate pulleys, speed reductions pulleys, all come up short. Is there a name for this type of pulley that I'm missing?

step pulley on a jackshaft? Or is this some weird design with only one pulley somehow driving another coaxial one at a different rpm? Maybe a sun and planet gearbox design
variable speed pulley is adjustable diameter.
Bil lD

I'm looking for pulleys to reduce the speed of driven shaft. Basically a large and small pulley together on bearings, like a cone pulley on a drill press. I've searched for sheaves, idler pulleys, cone pulleys, intermediate pulleys, speed reductions pulleys, all come up short. Is there a name for this type of pulley that I'm missing?

Can't understand "coming up short". Either of "cone pulley" or "step pulley" should have turned-up Chicago Die Casting and Congress as the legacy suppliers in Zamak // light metal, Morse, Browning, T.B. Woods, and Maska in the better choice, EG: Cast iron.

Survivors of the legacy suppliers are Gates or Emerson or ABB or similar conglomerates, properties, present-day. The companies and brand names get bought, sold, horsetraded now and then.

AFAIK, Chinese factories now supply a lot of the light-metal ones, (best to buy NEW, not used.) India the Cast Iron ones (used, better-yet "NOS" are OK in older major-maker goods)... whatever name is now on them.

Sleeving DOWN on shaft size works - stock bushings abound. Boring out for larger shafting may NOT work, especially on the die-cast light-metal ones. Not a lot of "meat" in those.

If you find yerself having to fab?

Suggest moving-over to PolyVee or MicroVee.

MUCH easier to fab pulleys for either of those as the grooves are shallower than legacy Vee and not ALWAYS even needed. Tubing for a "tire" mounted on a hub is easy. Don't need a great chunk of solid metal.

Also way less hassle than synchronous belts. Precision gear wheels, their "pulleys" actually be.

Back