What's new
What's new

Wheelchair Van Lift

Mmnimer

Plastic
Dear all,

Im working on a project for my niece who has CP. Basically where I live I can't get my hands on a Bruan UVL wheelchair lift. So I built one. I basically got a 12v KTI hydraulic pump (dual double action)so it has both up/down, in/out function. I got all parts together and succeeded in getting the basic operation required. However my skills lack in electrical setup. So I would like to put limit switches to control certain points. Like when to stop when it is fully out, in stow position and in van level position. My question is how to wire the switches. Where does it get its power from. I don’t want to start messing with the main control wiring. Also when this is fixed in place and the limit switch works and stops the lift when it is out. How do I get it to work again and go down or up if I technically have given a stop function. Doesn't make sense to me. So I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks in advance

You are going to have to post pictures and a schematic of the existing wiring you have already done if you want accurate help.

You are going to have to post pictures and a schematic of the existing wiring you have already done if you want accurate help.

Thanks for your assistance,
I'm not an engineer in any way. so unfortunately i don't have any schematics. I have all drawings in my head, and progress from there. I've attached some photos of my setup and this could possibly help you all. I know it doesn't look great yet but will all be powder coated and all welds will be done again:)

Image-71.jpgImage-72.jpgImage-73.jpgImage-74.jpgImage-76.jpg

Your kinda into basic logic control, the switches are your inputs. IMHO based on your description you need some one local to come help, this is probably not the kinda stuff were going to be able to do over a internet forum easily.

The lifts I have seen do not use a joystick. Each operation is a separate pushbutton hold down switch. One for up one for down, two for in/out etc. Simple enough to put a nc limit switch on each switch ciruit.
Bill D.

I have a wheelchair modified caravan. I don’t have a lift.I just got the whole floor cut out and lowered. I only have a ramp. It is a manual ramp that is operated by somebody with full upper body strength.

It is side entry which in most wheelchair excessable spots need to be Doublewide for deployment.

Think the OP means "used"........problem with all this gear ,the makers,and sellers assume its going to a hospital or to a victim of an auto accident with a $5 mil payout.When you have a terrible disease,that you cant sue no one for,its pretty unaffordable.I dont think limit switches are needed.Just a pushbutton that must be held ,and slow travel is OK ,coupled with a overload relay,of the resetting kind.

Used to work R&D for a mobility company. Makes me sick how many lifts/ devices I have destroyed that could have helped someone. Co didn’t want the liability. To the OP: mini limit swtichs are commonly used for travel control. Usually adjustable cams tripping the up/down and tabs on the linear. Design your trip flags as to not damage the switch in the event of an over travel.

Mmnimer, I salute you for taking on a project like this! I've known several handicapped people that had custom vehicles and they are EXPENSIVE!

With the advent of Arduino micro-processor devices, I think you would be smart to try to find someone local that could program a system for you. With one push of a button, it could lock a wheelchair into position, open the door, slide the platform out, lower it, etc.

basicly you will need to break the connection from each control button and install a limit switch in series with the button. The switch gets wired with the normally closed contact. So for example if none of the limits are trigger everything works as normal. You press the out button and when the outward limit is triggered the switch opens and stops the movement. You probably want to put a separate switch to lockout the up/down until it is in the proper location. I can draw a diagram for you if it will help
Brian

You "can't get your hands" on a product that has 15 dealers in Florida?

Just want to point out i'm not in the US. We are in Cairo, Egypt so things like this don't really exist. I purchased the parts from the US though. Everything else has been fabricated here.

Dear Brian,
I see what you mean. So if i was to tap into the solenoid directly would this do? there are four solenoids so this means 8 limit switches in serial. I would sure appreciate a diagram for this. If i can take you out of your way for the type of switches also, i would be forever grateful. Would it be like the example attached?InkedImage-71_LI.jpg

Just want to point out i'm not in the US. We are in Cairo, Egypt so things like this don't really exist. I purchased the parts from the US though. Everything else has been fabricated here.

Your location clearly states "Florida" so now you've moved ?

or "Bait & switch".

or simply lying.

As you have NOT been honest & upfront here, I'm done
having anything to do with you.

I would suggest the rest do the same.

The little lip/ramp/guard on the outside edge of the platform seems to be gravity controlled to flip up as the ramp is raised. When it nears the ground it has a cam action that touches the ground and rotates the lip down below flush to make a short ramp from ground to platform edge.
Bil lD

After thinking about your project in more detail, I came up with using 4 normally closed limit switches. There are thousands of switches out there of different shapes and sizes, so I'm not going to try to recommend one. I also used two DPDT 12v Relays for a lockout. The relays function are to prevent the operator Putting the ramp down until it is fully out. They also won't let the operator put the ramp in until it is fully up. However you can always move it out or up until the corresponding limit is triggered.IMG_0217.jpg

Back