What's new
What's new

When calibrating a spindle probe, is it better to use a larger ring gauge?

FrodoLoggins

Plastic
I have to recalibrate our spindle probe for our Haas mini mill. I think when we initially calibrated it we used someone elses ring gauge, but we have to recalibrate the probe and I'd like to buy our own so recalibration can be done quickly in the future.

If I were to use let's say a ~5" diameter ring gauge as opposed to a smaller ~3" diameter ring gauge, would that yield more accurate probing?

I'm assuming it technically will, but not really by much.

EDIT: Assuming the gauges are the same tolerance class.

I am not sure it would matter, as long as you are typing the diameter out to 4/5 decimals, then the machine does the rest. We use a .99996" and it works fine. Plus a smaller one will be cheaper, McMasster shows a 1" to be $155 and a 2" $278

I am not sure it would matter, as long as you are typing the diameter out to 4/5 decimals, then the machine does the rest. We use a .99996" and it works fine. Plus a smaller one will be cheaper, McMasster shows a 1" to be $155 and a 2" $278

You may have a point. I used the one Renishaw supplied. It was a 3." gauge.

what class are the gauges? the smaller one might have a tighter tolerance.

It probably doesn't matter, but if anything larger would be worse, as any uncorrected pitch/geometry errors in the machine will affect the calibration, and increase as you increase the range used.

I use an 80mm ring gauge FWIW.

Back