What's new
What's new

When to Hold Funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug8cat

Titanium
Have a Cincinnati Milicron Lancer 2000 ERD, with a lot of miles on her. She was being her usual crabby self yesterday and lost drive enable signal a few times. Oh FWITW has an Acramatic 2100 control.
Upon looking at the indicator lights on the 3 servo drive I happen to notice none of the cooling on the servo drives "seized". I could take them apart and replace them, lotta work for a '95 machine. If that is not enough the pendant link has an intermittent busticated wire.
Setting over a cuppa and a smoke I got to thinking is it scrap time or rebuild. I am very adept at electrical repairs. That being said time, down machine and lost production. kinda answers the questing.

Any thoughtsge9?????

Run it into the ground, then rinse and repeat as the cool kids say.
We all spend enough time chasing rabits with good enough for the job repairs on machines, and never get around to fixing it for a few years. If the machine is still paying rent, up to the point of seizure, I might say go ahead and send all the drives off to a rebuilder, start running new wires on everything, tighten all those loose bolts, and general cleaning while your shiney new controls get made and shipped. Sure it is down time, but time down is going to be about the same with new machine, loading/leveling, learning, getting the new jitters out.
If the iron is worn, well... it was a good machine that did machine stuff with all its machine heart; pouring some shop coffee out for it.

In my opinion when a CNC stops making you money it is time to end the relationship. Maybe not so with a manual machine. I have an old Dodge pickup truck (1972)that a lot of people would say was a real piece of crap. However I love the truck and keep it running. Same thing with some of my manual machines. They just feel right. It's harder to establish a fondness for a CNC then a manual machine. Sorry....too much coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back