When are Vert. Band Saw Tires worn out? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We reglued a set of rubber tires on our Grob saw around 10 years ago. They are still ok for a bit but will need to be replaces in the future. We used contact cement and replacement tires from Grob.

Id rather not go through the gluing again. Has anyone had any success using urethane tires on a large wheel? With GregSY's feed back id rather not experiment with urethane and just stick with the proven rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MCritchley View Post
    ...Has anyone had any success using urethane tires on a large wheel?...
    Not sure what you mean by large, but I have had blue urethanes on a 16" vertical metalcutter for several years. They work well. Stuck on well with a 3M specialty adhesive in a tube, which has to be applied carefully to avoid sticking everything in the shop to everything else.

-Marty-

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Feldman View Post
    Not sure what you mean by large, but I have had blue urethanes on a 16" vertical metalcutter for several years. They work well. Stuck on well with a 3M specialty adhesive in a tube, which has to be applied carefully to avoid sticking everything in the shop to everything else.

-Marty-
    The adhesive is 3m 5200 marine adhesive/sealant. They make a fast cure, but I prefer the slow cure (~1 week!). I bond the tires, then grind the crown on the wheel. Near perfect runout-wise, and very smooth. I've done several for friends, and mine which was done about 12 years ago, is still running perfectly. Good advice about applying carefully--cleanup is a b***h!

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I replaced the tires on my 16" Vertical DoAll with orange polyurethane tires about 10 years ago. No glue at all, placed them in very hot (almost boiling) water and stretched them over the wheels. Never an issue in all this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MCritchley View Post
    We reglued a set of rubber tires on our Grob saw around 10 years ago....

Id rather not go through the gluing again. ...
    No kidding. Good way to get your monthly limit of VOC's in an hour. I put mine on without glue and they're still in good condition after 20 years of almost daily use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And in 2020 we pick up from 2008 like not a moment has passed...….

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used 3M Super Weatherstrip adhevise from the auto parts store. About $6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the tires develop cracks it's time for new ones. Your tires will benefit from a good cleaning. Take and old stiff brush like a toothbrush and scrub the tires without the blade. When most of the grit is off then brush on a solvent like thinner. Run the drive wheel and hold the brush against if. The top wheel is done similarly except for running on power. I once had to replace tires on an old bandsaw with 36" wheels.
    Tires were glued on in 1879 when this saw was made. The date may be wrong as it was difficult to see.
    I got a piece of Carlisle roofing rubber which if I recall was about 3/16" thick. I cut the width to about 2" wide and about 6" longer than needed. I used hot hide glue to adhere the belt to the wheels. I cut the belt to length by over lapping the extra long end cutting thru both ends at the same time with a carpet knife. Repeated for bottom wheel. Trimmed extra width off both wheels to 1-3/4" wide.
    Crowned the belt with a block of wood and 60 grit sand paper. The block of wood was dished out with a large cove bit in a router table. The sandpaper was pushed into the cove and stapled on the edges to hold it in place. This worked well, crowned each tire in 30 minutes or so.

mike