What's new
What's new

Where to buy BSW (Whitworth) thread fasteners in US?

Trboatworks

Diamond
Hello all,

I need a handful of 1/2"-13 BSW nuts and a few bolts.
Is there any shop in the US where I can simply order some fasteners at reasonable cost?

Thanks

I still remember one of my first experiences with buying a new Taiwan-made machine about forty years ago. The nuts and bolts had 1/4-20 and 1/2-12 threads and a metric hex. I replaced them with UNC fasteners. I suppose those Taiwan fasteners had BSW threads, but I did not bother trying to find out.

Authentic BSW hex dimensions are not sizes that US or metric wrench sets will fit, so get out the adjustable open-end.

The tapped holes in the feet of Hardinge lathe beds from 1903 on for about thirty years were 1/2-12, but that was an old USA standard, not BSW.

Larry

A couple of cautions about sourcing Whitworth. I've bought from sources both in US and UK and found that some screws and bolts seem to come from the same source, same undersized measurements and sloppy fit. So sloppy in fact that they fit in UNC nuts. 1/2-12 BSW is hit or miss on fit so in anything structural, I either turn my own screws ( unless the ones I have actually are a tight fit ) or re tap the hole to 9/16-12 UNC. That is a pretty orphan size too but available from McMaster or elsewhere. If you do much work on English machines you do need a set of wrenches and sockets as nothing fits our UNC stuff. Dave

Their Website is AFU, WEF Sunday AM though...

None of the "Product" selection pages respond properly... two diff'rent browser families tried (Firefox & Chrome).

???

:(
Maybe T-man has a local computer problem. I had no trouble navigating to the 1/2 BSW hex head cap screw page using Chrome.

https://www.britishmetrics.com/Cate...ap Screw#group=jplist-productlist&paging=0-12

And the nut page. https://www.britishmetrics.com/Cate... Hex Nut#group=jplist-productlist&paging=0-12

British Metrics​
150 Airport Dr.
Westminster, Maryland 21157 USA

Phone: 410-857-3990
Phone: 800-762-5134
Fax: 410-857-3766
[email protected]

Larry

For fasteners try:
Maryland Metrics
or
Metric & Multistandard Components.

Metric and Multistandard - link:

British

That's a really cool outfit, theyre about 3 miles south of my workplace, in Elmsford, NY. The backstory seems to be: Elmsforfd did not allow manufacturing sites in their town, except if you were a retail establishhment then yes you could manufacture. So M&M actually has a retail window where I can get any of their products over the counter.

Futher they will make completely custom fasteners in a one-day tuen-around.

Back