What's new
What's new

Where to buy coolant pumps

Machinist_max

Aluminum
Looking to replace a few pumps.
Looking to boost the flow on my two Haas mini mills, and replace the dying one on my Hardinge turning center.

Where do you buy "standard" coolant pumps for a decent price with a decent build quality? (1/2 horse)

Short answer, there are no "reasonable" priced coolant pumps. Rebuild them. If the impeller and housing are good, it's like $20 for bearings, and maybe a few hours of your time. We had one going out (grinding and makin a hell of a racket) on our VF4 Haas. Bought a replacement to the tune of $1000+??? Anyhow, took the old one, tore it apart, replaced bearings, quiet as a church mouse now. New pump sitting on shelf for next time it happens...

I thought people were using fish pond submersible pumps with good results. OF course you have to be careful that materials and seals are compatible with your coolants.
Bill D.

Northern has pretty good selection of pumps @ reasonable prices. Can't speak for their reliability though.
Horrible freight has a decent selection @ good prices but whatever the warrantee says.....there really is not one. It is usually the type where you have return to the manufacturer and all that good stuff.

Graingers is the place for pumps in my book.
Northern and HF okay but not heavy shop duty. I do use HF pumps and a few from Northern. Much the same. On some machines I use two pumps in parallel.
Mike1974 is on the money with rebuilds and one should be able a to find a local shop that will do this.
if you want to boost the flow you are going to have to understand pumps, how they work, head, PSI and losses in the system and more. More power is sometimes not the answer but generally helps.
It is possible to put in a line booster pump but that gets complicated on starving it at high flow rates.
Bob

Don't know if these are universal on all Haas pumps, but what we used, been going about a year now.

(1) - 6203-2z-l038 c3
(1) - 6204-2z-l038 c3

bearings, purchased from McMaster.

I can't think of many rebuilds much easier than a coolant pump. All you guys replacing them with well pumps and whatnot, you do work in a machine shop, no?

LoL. To be fair, I could understand in a larger shop that has dedicated maintenance that may not "have time" to do 1 or 2 here and there, and they don't want their machinists doing maint work..

A vertical pump with the motor above the liquid level avoids seal leak issues and makes for easy removal for cleaning or replacement. It is harder to find vertical pumps in higher pressure designs.
Bill D.

I can't think of many rebuilds much easier than a coolant pump. All you guys replacing them with well pumps and whatnot, you do work in a machine shop, no?

I've never replaced one that didn't have a burnt motor
anything under 10 h.p. for a rewind is good money after bad

Back