What's new
What's new

where to buy hydraulic cylinder parts

kpotter

Diamond
I have been looking on the web for hydraulic cylinder parts, I need tube, can I buy it already honed and threaded and I just weld the bottom plate on? I need shaft and pistons and seals where is a good place to buy this stuff or do I need to make everything. I am going to make a 4x4 cylinder with a 1 1/2 shaft double acting. I need them for my presses that I sell, cant take another chinese bottle jack, they suck so bad.

Kevin,

I have purchased aluminum cylinder tube with a beautiful nitrated bore from 'Team Tube' These folks are awesome..at least they were years ago. Very customer focused and helpful. Google em and give them a call...they're real people that answer a real phone.

Chrome rod can be had anywhere and piston seals are readily available too! Build your cylinders around stock parts.'

Will the jewelry trade stand the cost increase in your product...I have found those folks very cost conscience and mechanically challenged.

Stuart

Does any company make a system that I can buy off the shelf parts and just assemble it. I see the tubing but I would still need to hone it. I dont want to have to make the top seal. I have thought about buying cylinders and cutting them down to 4 inch stroke. I have done this on real large cylinders before. Jewelry customers are mostly hobbiests but I want to offer my product to other industries and a decent hydraulic system would be a plus. I really want to make the whole thing since some of the quotes I have been getting for cylinders seems crazy. I just got a quote from a shop here in town of 750 dollars for 1 4x4 cylinder. I bought 4 4x8 inch cylinders for less than that. I am building a press brake with them. I got another quote of 535 dollars for a 4x4 cylinder and he was going to buy off the shelf bolt together components. They cant cost that much I dont mind paying a fair price but this is nuts. If they really get this much for small cylinders I am going into the hydraulic business.

I see the tubing but I would still need to hone it.

I found this:
Remember when doing bores on hydraulic cylinders, your finishes should be no better than a 16 RMS, and no worse than a 32 RMS...do not try and get a mirror like finish..this is bad because of the increase in friction...if you have too fine of a finish, then you need to hone the cylinder out just enough to get a cross patch pattern...imagine sliding rubber over a mirror...doesn't work too good does it?? keep your finishes right around 16-20 RMS....

Perhaps you are overthinking the finish?

Abom79 would know the details, his "MyShop" thread has plenty of cylinder repairs.

Tubular Steel - Products > DOM, Honed and Hydraulic Tubing
Los Angeles Sales
2750 North Locust Avenue
Rialto, CA 92376-4108
Phone: (909) 429-6900
Fax: (909) 429-6939

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/dom-tube-hydraulic-cylinder-232625/

Hmm, double acting is going to be a little tricky. You'll need to weld a fitting on the rod end of the cylinder. That'll warp the tube. It can be threaded into the cylinder, but only if it's a heavy wall tube.
Maybe a spring return within the cylinder? That will take a bit more length. Drill and tap the butt plate for the pressure side.
Tie rod jobs are just more work for no gain in this app.
You can buy polypak pistons from suppliers, (al. or ductile) or make your own.
As for the rod end seal or head, there's ductile threaded of all types. On this job it would be more work than necessary. I've made many aluminum ones that fit into a counter bore and retained with a snap ring. Some weren't even U-cupped, but just an O-ring seal with a wiper at the end. If it was spring returned, there would be no pressure there anyway.
The piston can be made of al. as well. O-rings can be used there too. I like a U-cup for the piston seal, but there's a lot of O-ring units out there that are working their little guts out. Four inch is usually the higher limit for an O-ringed piston, but have made larger. Much larger for air apps.
I use Scot Industries for rod, tube and ductile. They are the absolute best in my estimation.
Cylinder Repair Components, Hercules Sealing Products, Bailey's and B-D Cyl. Products handle many parts.

The cheapest is to buy a 4X8 cylinder from a farm supply and shorten it. A more elegant solution is to build one, go to baileynet.com and search for your parts. Phone is 1-800-800-1810 I don't buy from them much anymore but they have a very good selection of parts and complete cyls.

Ed.

Why double acting? You don't need any power on the return stroke, to make life easy just use two springs outside the bore, a bolt sticking out each end side perpendicular to the piston with a large spring going up to the top crosshead to provide retraction. It sure it isn't the fastest method in the world but it works, and is cheap.

Thanks for all the replies I went to Baily and they had the exact cylinder that I needed as a matter of fact it was the same cylinder that another company tried to sell me for 700 bucks. I paid 157 dollars for it. I got a welded 4x4 with a 2 inch shaft. I will cut off the cross pin mounts and be in business. Thanks Again Kevin

Hydraulic Cylinders

If you're looking for one in Wisconsin then I know a place where you can buy hydraulic cylinder parts. Innovative Hydraulics deal in a variety of hydraulic cylinders plus you can get custom made hydraulic cylinders as well. Its located in Wausau. Maybe it could be of some help to you. You can find out more from their website if you like.

Innovative Hydraulics

Team tube Portland Or. for some reasons likes to send us end cuts of bars the ends with no chrome and welded on grounds for plating for 2.5-4" even after we have bitched a number of times and our invoices say right on them no end cuts. The guys running the saws cant read. But then some times I cant read the prints I get. Ken

If you're looking for one in Wisconsin then I know a place where you can buy hydraulic cylinder parts. Innovative Hydraulics deal in a variety of hydraulic cylinders plus you can get custom made hydraulic cylinders as well. Its located in Wausau. Maybe it could be of some help to you. You can find out more from their website if you like.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Circles - YouTube

1. Mr Potter found some 6 years ago
2. Mr Potter is NOT located in Wisconsin
3. You are nothing but a spammer.

Innovative Hydraulics
This place is great because if you go there on your lunch break they have FREE spam sandwiches. Grilled or fried in onions.;)

Back