What's new
What's new

Where to buy steel bushings?

rimcanyon

Diamond
I'm looking for steel bushings, ¾" i.d. and 1 ⅛" o.d. 1" long. Neither McMaster nor Grainger sell them in steel. Bronze yes. Yes I could make them but for something this basic there has to be a reasonable supplier.

I'm looking for steel bushings, ¾" i.d. and 1 ⅛" o.d. 1" long. Neither McMaster nor Grainger sell them in steel. Bronze yes. Yes I could make them but for something this basic there has to be a reasonable supplier.

did you look at drill bushings ?

Are they hard over about the 1 1/8” OD? Standard size drill bushings with 3/4” ID only come with 1” OD. Carr -Lane and others sell this as a standard item.

Look up a supplier of pins and bushes for earthmoving and ag .....there is a supplier here called K-Set,who have a giant catalog of every kind of steel pin and bush for everything from a Bobcat to a D9H......they also custom make hardened steel stuff,and sell induction hardened bar from around 1/2 up the biggest their machine will handle.

There are a couple of DOM candidates, both would need "some" machining.

But either the OD or the ID is right on your number, and bound to not hit it exactly. Dice roll, IOW.

Small enuf, may as well start with solid and JFDI. I'm presuming you need only a few?

There are a couple of DOM candidates, both would need "some" machining.

But either the OD or the ID is right on your number, and bound to not hit it exactly. Dice roll, IOW.

Small enuf, may as well start with solid and JFDI. I'm presuming you need only a few?

Right, need 4. Monarch used them on 10EE steady rests. I'm just surprised I can't find them off the shelf, but I can find 5 versions of bronze and as many of plastic, aluminum and stainless. I was hoping to add some new suppliers to my standard goto list. I ordered some bronze bearings and they are exact fits, just don't look right.

Right, need 4. Monarch used them on 10EE steady rests. I'm just surprised I can't find them off the shelf, but I can find 5 versions of bronze and as many of plastic, aluminum and stainless. I was hoping to add some new suppliers to my standard goto list. I ordered some bronze bearings and they are exact fits, just don't look right.

Got a steady, tight-ass OEM one for the round-dial '42 & '44.

Hadn't paid much attention, given a 20" c-to-c needeth it so rarely (not even ONCE, so far..) vs the traveler.

MIGHT have needed it if I hadn't gotten the longer HBX-360-BC that came in the door with a saner steady as well.

Even so, I'd figure Bronze as good if not better. Stainless? "It depends".

Got a steady, tight-ass OEM one for the round-dial '42 & '44.

Hadn't paid much attention, given a 20" c-to-c needeth it so rarely (not even ONCE, so far..) vs the traveler.

MIGHT have needed it if I hadn't gotten the longer HBX-360-BC that came in the door with a saner steady as well.

Even so, I'd figure Bronze as good if not better. Stainless? "It depends".

Monarch was particular about it. The bed lock has a cam that is capable of a lot of downward force in the center of the steady rest casting. That area is not supported by the bed so they used steel bearing shells for strength and to better distribute the force. The cam lobe itself runs in a bronze shell inside the rod end bolt. Sure Monarch always over-engineered everything, but I would rather follow their lead. I have never seen a steady rest that was broken at the point below the bearing shell but that is surely the weakest point.

Monarch was particular about it. The bed lock has a cam that is capable of a lot of downward force in the center of the steady rest casting. That area is not supported by the bed so they used steel bearing shells for strength and to better distribute the force. The cam lobe itself runs in a bronze shell. Sure Monarch always over-engineered everything, but I would rather follow their lead. I have never seen a steady rest that was broken at the point below the bearing shell but that is surely the weakest point.

Went looking for my one last cycle to get onto the same page, couldn't remember where I had stashed it!

That said, the infrequent operation and small range of movement, there's a location and application where stock Stainless could be gooped-up and not become a galling problem.

"Or so I believe."

Excuse the obvious - but what about a machine shop?

Cobblers and barefoot children thing. A machinist can make anything for anybody, even if the Enigma-earing drawings are proven impossible.

For our OWN use?

"NFW!"

Point of pride we have to JUST BUY IT!"

Pragmatic, that.

- Argumentive lot, machinists, and nobody ever won an argument with a customer.

- No fine way we are going to work for a cheap elitest bastard as claims to know as much as we do. Surely not for low pay or No pay!

Labourite should be good with that last part?

:D

Cobblers and barefoot children thing. A machinist can make anything for anybody, even if the Enigma-earing drawings are proven impossible.

For our OWN use?

"NFW!"

Pragmatic, that.

- No fine way we are going to work for a cheap elitest bastard as claims to know as much as we do. Surely not for low pay or No pay!

Labourite should be good with that last part?

We don't have money, all our toil is for the good of the mother country.

Did you try contacting Monarch?

For our OWN use?

"NFW!"

Pragmatic, that.

We are an engine shop and are constantly in need of custom tooling and fixtures. My machinist says, "Yes, we can make it, but no, that's not our business. Buy it and keep the day-to-day workflow moving. That's forty years of experience talking."

jack vines

Back