What's new
What's new

Where to buy supplies/tools/equipment in St Louis?

trythis

Cast Iron
I am leaving Kansas City in the the next 3 to 9 months.
I have lived in KC for 12 years and know exactly where I can get what I need and when. I get to start over in St Louis.

If anyone on the board knows, what are some good places to get:
tools,
tooling,
metal stock,
nuts bolts, etc.

who sells close out deals, who sells used?
Where is the old store with wood floors and old stock still on the shelves.

Thanks to my new neighbors.

If you like close-outs and surplus give me a shout. I have tons of nice inserts, toolholders, end mills taps, debur handles and blades, scotchbrite pads, etc. This is all nice stuff that most shops use, no chinese junk, all domestic name brands. %50-%80 off list.
Sorry, I'm not just down the street. It'll have to go UPS.
Curt

Thanks, I will keep it in mind. The point is local stores I can walk into and say, "Wow, I didn't know I needed that." And then wonder if my wife would even notice I bought it. Place in KC called Harry J Epstein's is going to be difficult for me to replace. I am sure I will miss others, and find new places that I wish I had known of.

Tools and tooling: Missouri Tool in Fenton, Supreme Grinding in South St. Louis, Zimmermann-McDonald in North St. Louis, CJ Smith in Fenton, many, many others...

Materiels: Shapiro in North St. Louis, Metal Supermarket in Manchester, Southern Scrap in South St. Louis, again many more...

Nuts and Bolts: Superior Industrial in South St. Louis (Ask for Matt H.), Inventory Sales in South St. Louis, Local Ace Hardware (NOT Home Depot), not too many others....

All can be found in the yellow pages, or via google..

Any ?

Feel free to ask..

Andy

What kinda place is Missouri Tool? I work in Valley park, and Fenton isn't too far away.

Any tool grinding outfits? I have a bunch of dull milling cutters, and have not got my T&C grinder up and running yet.

Andy named most of the good places. I like Inventory Sales the best for fasteners, rivets, nuts and bolts etc. Check out KBC in St. Charles, MO as well for machinery and tooling.

JST- Did you changes jobs? Didn't know you were working in Valley Park. Missouri Tools can sharpen any cutting tool you take to them. They can also make custom tools to your specifications. They made some special carbide router tools for me and their quality is great.

When you go there ask for Gary. He's the guy who owns the place. Ask him to show you around and make sure you see the machinery they use to make the cutting tools. It's really something to see.

GM Abrasives is in the same building and they have every kind of abrasive material like sandpaper, grinding wheels, and diamond hones etc.

trythis,

I hadn't heard of the Harry J Epstein Co. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Since you're leaving the area, any other handy places in KC that you know about?

Scott

All the above named places are good, esp KBC when in a pinch.
For quality metals, try EMJ (Earl M Jorgenson) in Bridgeton, MO right of Hwy 70 near St. Charles. Can get you anything but you have a minimum order of $300. Usually not a problem for most though. Shapiro's is great for misc. scrap and weird "treasures" in the dungeon.
Give me a ring when you get out this way if you need anything.
Grant

applescotty,
I Epstein's isn't a machinist tooling company, but they have amazing deals on hand tools, drill bits, carbide burs, and a lot of oddball stuff. They are in Downtown KC MO, in an old wood floor building. 9th and central.

I only know of beaver tool on mission road where I get machinist tools. I can walk to Epstein's I am going to miss that.

Yes, changed jobs.

So is Missouri Tool a sharpening place? A tool supplier? Other? Both? All?

I'd love to find a local used machinery/tooling place. Supposedly there is one over on the east side, but I haven't got there yet.

trythis... we'll miss you even though we never met.... it's a shame there are more guys around here..... KC does seem pretty dry for finding what we all might call "good junk"..... I probably feel that way because I got spoiled by Canal St, (NYC)... even though it was at it's twilight.....

JST- Congrats on the new job.

Missouri Tools sells just about any type of cutting tool you would ever need. They have import and domestic types so the pricing can vary. I buy end mills, drill bits, drill rod and so on from them. They do sell some machinery but it seems like you have to order from a catalog. Years ago I remember seeing some machinery on their floor but not sure if they do that any longer.

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to check out the used machinery at several dealers on North Broadway but I think they are all gone now. Zimmermann-McDonald moved years ago to Bridgeton to escape the hood.

Missouri Transformer Co. is still in the N. Broadway area if you need electrical parts and hydraulic stuff. Sometimes they have machine tools for sale. Last time I was there they had two surface grinders and three Bridgeport mills. They are running out of room for storage with so many plants being liquidated. Might still be a good place to check out. As you know, don't be in that area after dark!

Back