What's new
What's new

Where can I buy extra long shank drills

cmccull166

Hot Rolled
I need to drill a feature 5/8 thru but reach 18.50 deep I was looking at aircraft drills but I can only find 12 inches long. Also its .276 or 7 mm dia ...
Any ideas .
Thanks

When I have needed long drills I usually just make them myself. The shank of most drills is usually pretty soft and can be drilled out and an extension silver soldered to them. Drill a hole in the shank and make an extension with a piece of stock the same size or slightly smaller with a spigot to fit the hole.

That sort of feature is SOP for gun drills. Maybe more money than you want to spend, and you'll have to figure out a coolant feed for it with some pressure, but 7mm will be off the shelf from a number of vendors.

That sort of feature is SOP for gun drills. Maybe more money than you want to spend, and you'll have to figure out a coolant feed for it with some pressure, but 7mm will be off the shelf from a number of vendors.

As I read it, a gundrill would be stupid overkill. He's not drilling 18.5" deep... He's drilling a hole that's 5/8" deep, 18.5" deep in a hole.

You can spin /grind off .060 from the short drill shank end diameter. drill an extension piece 1" deep to a slip-press size and then drill in the same hole about .005 larger for a half-inch deep, then stand it up and with flux silver solder the joint.
The to-size part makes that drill assembly straight and the +.005 allows the silver solder to fill that gap and make a strong joint. The extension needs to be under the drill diameter to go into the hole.

I once made a drill about 5 (might have been 3 feet?) feet long for a ground specifications hole in a southern state where my friend was building a cabin and was called for a ground, to be inspected that deep... might have been South Carolina.

Made it out of a gas pipe so it could be welded to a carbide drill shank with a blunted point for strength and welded a solid shank to the but end to go into a drill chuck.

Good to start a deep hole with a standard drill so you don't mess up the expensive one at the start. deep holes fill with chips so often pull-out. Cutting liquid can help make the hole. Amazon.com: Forney 20857 Tap Magic Industrial Pro Cutting Fluid, 4 oz : Industrial & Scientific

As I read it, a gundrill would be stupid overkill. He's not drilling 18.5" deep... He's drilling a hole that's 5/8" deep, 18.5" deep in a hole.

Fair point - if that's the case, some straight bar with a hole for the actual drill. And maybe a plastic collar at the end to help cut droop and ensure centering of the 7mm hole. Just have to ensure the collar doesn't get loaded with chips and become a (bad) lap.

I have several of the "BellHanger" tribe that are that long or longer.

Sometimes faster to find, stocked locally, and not all that costly. Only a subset are OK for steel. Most are optimized for wood or masonry.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...37/202256109&usg=AOvVaw0LcZsQ4rx4mUtyEvaHuM4x

3/8" x 36" Carbide Tipped Bellhanger (w/3/8" shank) - EldoradoTools

B & A Bellhanger Bit, Carbide, 3'/'8" x 48" - 4CJE7'|'BH-3848 - Grainger

Or they WERE common.. until so much in the way of comms and data goods went over to WiFi!

Just want to say thanks everybody for the replies (which I have not gotten to go through yet) I ordered a 7 mm x 500 mm from MSC shipping from over seas.

I think it delivers to Walters in Wisconsin and overnight UPS to me early next
week...

Not exactly what I wanted but to much lost time looking.

Make a drill extension

Drill a hole in a the same size rod as the drill shank about 1/2" deep. Cut down the end dia. of the drill to match the hole in the rod. Cut a flat on the reduced drill dia. 1/2" long; half way through the side of the drill. Cut half way through the side of rod to key in the drill so it can slip beyond the drilled hole bottom in the rod. Silver Solder in place. This way allows use a standard jobber drill.

Roger

I have several of the "BellHanger" tribe that are that long or longer.

Sometimes faster to find, stocked locally, and not all that costly. Only a subset are OK for steel. Most are optimized for wood or masonry.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...37/202256109&usg=AOvVaw0LcZsQ4rx4mUtyEvaHuM4x

3/8" x 36" Carbide Tipped Bellhanger (w/3/8" shank) - EldoradoTools

B & A Bellhanger Bit, Carbide, 3'/'8" x 48" - 4CJE7'|'BH-3848 - Grainger

Or they WERE common.. until so much in the way of comms and data goods went over to WiFi!

I would have gone this route...where were you when I needed you.....

Simple.. spin down the .276 jobber length drill shank to fit into the collar add a flat ..
couple of guides clamped to the part.. done..

Thats the one guru if I'd seen this sooner I would have you order it.

Next problem I'm e-mailing you.
Thanks

Sounds good. That is what I do all day, I find tooling for shops so they can focus on making parts ;)

Just an FYI I am not sure what MSC charged for overseas and next day but we charge $13.50 flat rate. This is what Walter charges us. We sell a lot of Walter and many new clients are unfamiliar with the flat rate next day shipping. That flat rate includes if item A is in the USA and item B is in Germany, you will only be charged $13.50 and received in separate shipments. It's a big win. Sandvik and Seco offer similar options as well.

Back