What's new
What's new

Where can I buy a peg feather key??

BuffDan

Aluminum
Any ideas on who might sell peg feather keys, such as in the pictures
I have tried the usual, McMaster, grainger, fastenal...

I need just one.. I will probably end up making one, but thought I'd ask

Thanks guys.. Hope you all are well

Dan
peg key.jpg20200401_211924.jpg

If it has a round pin, just knock a blind hole in a plain key and use a pressed in pin. Shouldn't take 10 minutes. Use a smaller hardened pin with a plain steel bushing so you don't weaken the key too much. Even a solid key like that isn't very strong.

I've seen those used in machines before, but never for sale anywhere.

Thanks for your reply. I think because the key is so small I need to make it from one piece. The key is .062 x .125..

Dan

Hardinge lathes used keys of a slightly different design in a couple of places.The pegs were long enough to extend clear through the tubular part. The hole was filed with four tapering notches to make the top of the hole square to prevent rotation of the key (no keyway in the bore of the tube) and the peg was riveted and filed flush. These were small keys for location that had no need for great strength, so they could be soft enough to rivet.

Other brand lathes simply used a hardened steel pin pressed in the hole and extending through the tube far enough to engage the keyway in the inner shaft. Again, the pin did not need to resist much torque in this application.

Larry

DSC01967.jpg DSC01963.jpg DSC01964.jpg DSC01966.jpg

You used to be able to buy peg keys like that back in the day. They also sold the peg keys that had the peg at one end. I've never seen any in the " dolls house " size the OP is seeking though.

Regards Tyrone.

Simple enough if fiddly turning job, (and milling if the key is narrower than the peg dia' ) …...made 00's back in the day** from O1 ground gauge plate.

** I've just worked it out, that was well over 40 years ago yea gods!

Back