What's new
What's new

Where can I get info about gears, specs, angles etc.

jackal

Titanium
Looking at recent posts about gears, has made me wonder about the info on making / measuring them.
I have worked places many years ago that would make an occasional ( simple) gear or cut a spline.
They usually had the cutter and mandrel for it because it was a repeat job.
I would like to know how to check the pressure angle, flank, etc.
There are some examples in the Machinery Handbook, but a layman's terms book would be appreciated.
Nothing fancy, helical, beveled , etc.
Can anyone direct me to a book that tells how to select a cutter, diametral pitch, etc.
In the the past they just said " Here, we always used this. Joe figured it out and it works".

Thanks for any info or leads.

Jackal,
These -3- books are my go-to before I hit the internet!
SHOP THEORY (James Anderson)
MACHINE TOOL OPERATIONS -part 2
GEARS AND GEAR CUTTERS (Ivan Law- Worhshop practice series # 17)
Great reading, and all cover the subject in extreme detail. Good Luck!
Johnny

Wow. Thanks a lot for that info, guys.
I'll watch those videos, too.
That book by Ivan kept popping up, so it made me think that it had to be good.

I'll check on the others, too.
Thanks again.

If you want to practice making gears I use Design Spark Mechanical to design the gears I need. It is a free open source program. I design on it then change the file type to one windows can read then from windows I am able to change file type to my 3D printer. You don't have to have a printer to prove your design. It is good practice figuring out all the angles.

If you want to practice making gears I use Design Spark Mechanical to design the gears I need. It is a free open source program. I design on it then change the file type to one windows can read then from windows I am able to change file type to my 3D printer. You don't have to have a printer to prove your design. It is good practice figuring out all the angles.

Here is a video of one of the gears I made.
1 minute and 50 seconds into the video you can see the gear on the Design Spark Mechanical software.
https://youtu.be/or_M7sRjA88

Thanks again everyone.
I may never make but a couple of gears, but I would like to understand what's going on and how to select the correct cutter.
Thanks again

Back