What's new
What's new

Where do you buy your metal?

greenthing

Plastic
This question is more geared towards hobbyists and small volume producers. Where do you buy your metal for your machining projects?
Looking for some affordable alternatives.. :)

Scrap yard mainly. Then I visit local shops and buy off cuts. I also use ebay and the net to buy certain things online when I need something specific.

This question is more geared towards hobbyists and small volume producers. Where do you buy your metal for your machining projects?
Looking for some affordable alternatives.. :)

"Affordable" - for "revenue" shops of small size just as much as for hobbyist/retiree/R&D folks ..actually means buying just what you need - in the "right" alloy, to a close to finished size - for a specific job or project - and ending-up with the very least amount of scrapped parts, chips, or "drops" left-over.

Seriously.

The "apparent" unit cost is higher that way than scrounging old barbells and other scraps, but YOUR scrap rate is less, and you do not end-up looking like a scrapyard in yer own limited space with a growing pile of cash tied-up in "so called stock".. that may be mostly salvaged junk in unknown alloys that is ony THERE because you did NOT have a use for it, still do not have a use - and may never.

Now..... where to get the "just in time" goods for operating off a "lean" stockpile?

- Recyclers, I've gotten a few odds and sods - the Bronzes, mostly - from Moses Glick.

Otherwise, for "new" metals, given I do not need "certifications". At all.

-- Online Metals

-- Speedy Metals

-- Allmetals

-- Quality metals

And others, depending on speciality.

Perforated stainless? Thick shiney-wood Alloy bed plates? Blanchard-ground rectangles and rounds? Tee-slot extrusions? Thompson shafting?

It's all "out there" AND - critical need -"cut to order" - not a twin-screw Peterbilt with 50 tons of bar right off the mill "minimum order" ..as a service to fabicators, repair shops, and such if you but search.

Basically whomever online has a decently long history and a good reputation.

- Then McMaster-Carr. Or even MMC "first" if time is critical.

Locally it's "too difficult" where I perch.

Metro DC's only "Heavy Industry" is damned lies and other political bullshit. No more "metal" in those than there is nutritional value.

EVERYTHING of any value has to be shipped-in.

Florida? Prolly much the same, just for dfferent reasons.

2CW

Again, Doug, why do you shill for this cocksucker? I fail to see how you can not be aware of his history vs this site.

Again, Doug, why do you shill for this cocksucker? I fail to see how you can not be aware of his history vs this site.

I have no Idea whom the site owner is.
However, they are for harry homeshop types, and advertise as "the happy forum"
so how can that be bad to the OP, versus staying around here ?

Trying to help the OP get the answers they need, regardless where that leads them to.

What are you trying to doo ?

Sometimes I think PM should have it's own wikipedia so I can keep track of all the feuds, dramas and how they affect current user interactions. This Hobby Machinist stuff for instance, news to me.

I have no Idea whom the site owner is.
"Enlighten yourself", then. It's time.

A "general" heads-up that a seeker - any field or subject - is almost always better-served to seek where others with similar situations and equipment congregate is reasonable.

A "general" heads-up that even the retirees and hobbyists who frequent PM just do not ordinarily HAVE hobby-grade goods, even if they have "antiques", nor all that often even exhibit "just" entry-level skills... is reasonable.

Letting / encouraging the seeker - who knows what they have and need, or must exert THEMSELVES to find out - select their OWN best-match when PM is not "the one"... is reasonable.

Knee-jerk posting a specific link, time after time, and the one you use the most, especially? That is NOT so "reasonable".

Being "surprised" when called out on it as being - at best - a bad habit?

Welll. ...

You will no longer be surprised at being "called out", going-forward, will you?

Side Note: If that "other website" actual is run by "fellators"?

On their track record? I'd expect them to do a rather unpredictable job at sucking....

:D

As a hobbyist, the OP has some advantages to keeping stock on hand. You will probably not need a lot of exotic metals. Also you do not have a customer who is requesting a particular metal that you have to scramble to acquire. Learn from experience or from others what metal works for MOST things and stick with that. You only need about five different types to do most hobby work. Get some 12L14 which is easy to machine and good for general purpose stuff, some 4140 for when you need something tough (like an axle for your neighbors garden cart), some O1 for when you need to be able to make something hard (think tools), some AL in different sizes (can be used a lot in hobby applications and is very easy to machine) etc.

Haha, years ago I got banned from that site, never visited it even once again. Guess I came off as too much of a smartass or something.

Mike

Back