What's new
What's new

Where to find info about end-mills with chip breakers?

yujinius

Plastic
Hi everybody,
so I saw on the IMCO end-mill catalog there are end-mills with chip breakers (the call it Chip Management System). Does anyone know where can i find info about these, particulary geometry of the chip breaker and how it's constructed, but any info on the subject will be helpful. Also are there other manufacturers who makes end mills with chip breakers?
Thank you.

There may certainly be something out there I am not aware of but the only "chip breaker" end mills I have seen are ones with a notch cut in the flute to split the chip.

There may certainly be something out there I am not aware of but the only "chip breaker" end mills I have seen are ones with a notch cut in the flute to split the chip.

Yes, a notch cut in the flute, that's what i am talking about. So it's just a simple notch? I am just relatively new to this field of cutting tools

Yes, a notch cut in the flute, that's what i am talking about. So it's just a simple notch? I am just relatively new to this field of cutting tools

Iscar does it all the time. While you're there, ask them if I can tour the place too.....:D

We carry them...

Variable Flute End Mills With Chip Breaker - Made in USA - MariTool

These are getting very popular. Stopped by a local customer/buddy of mine. He was using our 1/2 in 4140. 900 sfpm in a Brother BT30 machine with coolant. He said he gets great tool life as well.

Not sure how much info you are going to get from the manufacturer, everyone has there own little details that they dont like to talk about or share.

To my knowledge, there are 2 *basic* types...

a "corncob" type https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87065355

a chip breaker / rough&finish https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/84311901

I think there is a 3rd kind that has a chipbreaker, but leaves a finish surface comparable to a finishing endmill, but not sure what they are called...

I was talking more about the second one, or the third you mentioned, not the first one. Basically looking for a finishing mill with chipbreaker.

You mean your rep didn't offer to fly you there for a tour? I had to turn down that and a free trip to Vegas for a weekend seminar.

? I've been to Mazak, Hurco, and Hexagon. Been offered by a few other MTBs, but no one has ever offered me a tour hoping I'd buy their endmills

? I've been to Mazak, Hurco, and Hexagon. Been offered by a few other MTBs, but no one has ever offered me a tour hoping I'd buy their endmills

I dunno what to tell ya. My rep goes once a year (or every other year, I don't remember), he told me I could go with him at their expense. I told him I'm not allowed to accept things like that.

Then he invited me to their conference in Vegas last year, 3 days, hotel, food, airfare all paid for. Not allowed to accept it, so I didn't go.

I dunno what to tell ya. My rep goes once a year (or every other year, I don't remember), he told me I could go with him at their expense. I told him I'm not allowed to accept things like that.

Then he invited me to their conference in Vegas last year, 3 days, hotel, food, airfare all paid for. Not allowed to accept it, so I didn't go.

What's the point in climbing the ladder if you can't accept the perks that come with it? It's like becoming rich and famous but not being able to have relations with your secretary...

We carry them...

Variable Flute End Mills With Chip Breaker - Made in USA - MariTool

These are getting very popular. Stopped by a local customer/buddy of mine. He was using our 1/2 in 4140. 900 sfpm in a Brother BT30 machine with coolant. He said he gets great tool life as well.

Not sure how much info you are going to get from the manufacturer, everyone has there own little details that they dont like to talk about or share.
I mowed down a bunch of 304 with one a while back, worked great.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back