What's new
What's new

Where to find small carbide counterbores?

razoredgeknives

Plastic
I need something in the M2 metric screw range... so probably just shy of 2.10 mm (.0826") pilot and .141" (or more) diameter counterbore. This will be done through CNC around 600 counterbores in grade 5 titanium so I believe carbide would be best but planning on getting multiple of whatever I get anyway as I know I will go through them on that many holes. Any suggestions? Does such a thing exist or will I need to get a larger one and have it machined down to the correct dimension?

any suggestions on who may do something like this would be helpful too... was thinking of getting something like this and having it ground down.

Yeah, why piloted?

For small general stuff harvey tool has alot of stuff. They probably have a 9/64", there apways adding more sizes of their regular tooling. If they don't have it and you need qty of 6 they should ve able to make it. I think qty of 5 is their minimum for custom made tools. Micro 100 might have it too or they may also be able to make it, but I don't know their minimum.
They both make good stuff, I don't like either of their prices for the most part, but they do have quite a bit to select from that others don't and they are convenient.

Thanks guys, I was told that plunge cuts with end mills are really hard on them and would go through a bunch of end mills. I'm not doing the cnc myself but through a machine shop so I'm just trying to do figure out what's best to keep costs down. Here's the clip holes

i-Rmh2kpQ-X4.jpg

I'm by no means expert on this but you probably get a bunch of endmills for the price of (custom) countersink.
Plunging depth is quite moderate so things could be worse.
Maybe some plunge-friendly endmill like Guhring RF100 diver would help too.

Helical interpolation would be preferred solution by many but depending on machines your supplier has it might be out of question for tiny counterbores.

Endmills don’t like to plunge straight down, especially if there is no pilot hole (both because of the cutter geometry and the fact that the SFM drops to zero at the center of the cutter). In this case, you have a pilot hole already, so you could plunge. That being said, I still would helical bore or drop straight in to the pilot hole and use a high speed toolpath.

Let the shop decide the best way to proceed with the tools they have. Specifying procedures will just drive up the cost

Back