What's new
What's new

Whiners and know it alls

Woodeye1

Plastic
I’m fairly new here. Retired after 55 years. I’ve seen so many guys belittling newbies that it’s nauseating. I remember my early days and the people who both encouraged and helped me eventually become a moldmaker. Some of the assholes I see here patting themselves on the back at the expense of rookies are just narcissistic morons. Ease up on the newbies. You were one yourself. Remember that.

Hi Woodeye1:
Yeah, that's true, but I have gotten a lot of really great information on here too; unstintingly offered to me by some of the most helpful people I've ever encountered.
The list of good ones is very large and the list of hard cases is kinda small
So you have to take the wheat with the chaff here...it's no different than most places on the internet.
Generalized Cyberspace Courtesy is and always was a fantasy...look pretty much anywhere on the 'net and you'll see small-dicked asswipes screaming moronically.

But I still have faith...make them meet in person and you'll probably see a lot less strutting and a lot more civility because a lot of the screamers have no balls.
It's the fact that there are no consequences to rude behaviour that dis-inhibits small-penised people from keeping a civil tongue in their mouths.
Welcome to the digital age!:D

There are still lots of good ones though...more than bad ones I'm sure.

One other point; this forum was originally set up for professional machinists so Homeshop Harrys were strongly discouraged by the founder because there were lots of places for them to go, and almost no decent places for those who do it for a living to go.
So that mentality became the norm and sometimes the greetings a newbie with a dumb (read lazy) question got were pretty vicious.
That habit seems to have stuck, and then of course came Facebook and Twitter and all those other places where like minded morons could find a place to have a nice circle jerk, shielded from any accountability.
Now it's the new normal in a lot of places and some have tried it here too.
Most screech a bit and then leave...a few hardcores stick around.
Put them on "IGNORE" and they will stop raising your blood pressure.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

There were quite a few old guys helped me get going in the right direction, if that's what I did but I would like to think I gave as good as I got, I swapped a lot of time for the knowledge I got from those old guys. I even was able to learn some from that old German tool and die maker, wholly crap was he hard to get along with. You can't always show up wanting something for nothing and there are many who do just that, usually because they can't take a bit of their time to read what the forum is about and who it is for.

If you worked 55 years, you'd have seen countless people blow in and flame out soon after. You'd recognize that the ones who did that were almost always the ones who expected everyone else to tell them how to do everything. The ones who lasted were almost always the ones who listened, learned, and remembered and had at least a little manners. That was true 55 years ago and it's only gotten more true now.

Just put thermite on ignore. :D

Honestly, (unless that's because I'm one of assholes lol) I just don't see it (or did I miss some big dust up?).

Every time I've asked for advice the willingness to help, attitude and quality of the advice and info has been first class. Yeah maybe there's the odd duck who wants to flex his ego a bit, cripes maybe all of us to do that at least a tiny bit from time to time....but I've never felt it warranted asking for my money back.

The newbies new to the forum that get the most shellacking are the ones who cop an attitude. If you ask a dumb or ignorant question there's likely to be some chiding. If you get really huffy and start the insults it gets much harder.

TG, kind of applies to life not just the forum. People whose ego is always out front and have no humility will have a tough go of it.

I agree with you, no need to be rude or jump on someone just because they are new to this stuff.

I'm not usually a asshole to anyone but I have put time into a few new people I wish I could have back.

One could probably say this is OT, I see a lock coming.

Brent

I remember when I was new to this forum, I read the rules and it didn't take reading too many topics to realize that this place is a great resource, but it is also a place that some people don't take shit. I asked some questions and got my ass chewed out for not giving 100% of the details. I got responses like maybe if we knew what the hell you were doing, maybe we could help. But it wasn't worth it for you to give us all the information to start with so figure it out. It wasn't the people who you first think of.

Now I'm not saying that's how this place should be, but if people come in here and say, I want to build a bridge with my harbor freight welder, and people here give then shoddy advise and the bridge falls down and kills someone, now what. Because recently there has been an uptick in people being "like" that. That said, I am also on several other forums where it's more hobbyist and self learners where I help out. But what is differebt between most people who post there and some people who post here is they know they are newbies and start from the beginning. Most don't beg for the info, most search for the link to where they can read more about it. Then they come back and understand how to ask a better question.

I've been here 10 years now and I'm still excited when people, who know pretty well what they are talking about, ask about weird calculations and how to build a support for a machine because the engineer is a ********* IDIOT. I read so much good advise and there is lots of it.

If it ends up being like other forums where its flooded by people who post again and again about what stick rods, Post what amp setting, Post what angle, Post what polarity, Post what electrical plug, Post what does 6010 mean, and so on, the "wiser" people here may have enough and PM looses it's best resource over a lot of other forums. Even if they aren't always the best to deal with.

PM is probably the best resource for all around professional level advise out there, but it is for the people, by the people, and if people cant handle it. I say too bad. In my opinion, this place isnt grade school help, this is more like I'm paying for college and I better straighten up and learn or I'll be left behind.

PS, After I've been here for 40 years, I might still not know half of what some of these people know, but it will STILL be in the search option! Also, PM shows up quite often when I Google information.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I try to balance being an asshole with giving good help. I also don't mind calling someone out. There's a grizzly lathe thread going on now that I stirred the pot.

The home shop Harry's (hsh's) that ask normal questions get normal service...those who give attitude when we send them off to home shop sites because they will literally get better answers for their rusted out shit box machines get delt with a bit differently.

There's plenty of regulars on here that are home gamers. They contribute though and get the respect they deserve.

We all know the dickheads here, most can be found in the manufacturing in America and Europe section.

As Ive pointed out many times,the Hobby Machinist is definitely the best source of info on 30 or 40 (or 50) year old Asian lathes....some have painstakingly traced long defunct Taiwanese and Chinese companies and equally defunct importers..........Taiwanese manufacturers from long ago who are still in business,like Rong Fu,have zero help for obsolete machines .....simply not good business.......we will sell you a new one!

As Ive pointed out many times,the Hobby Machinist is definitely the best source of info on 30 or 40 (or 50) year old Asian lathes....some have painstakingly traced long defunct Taiwanese and Chinese companies and equally defunct importers..........Taiwanese manufacturers from long ago who are still in business,like Rong Fu,have zero help for obsolete machines .....simply not good business.......we will sell you a new one!

No no you got that wrong...we sell you new one round eye

It's been said before, but the forum is oriented towards the professional manufacturer - whether machinist, programmer, engineer, etc.

It's a courtesy to respect the forum zeitgeist and not waste member's time by asking really basic questions that are better found at sites oriented towards beginners. It's also shows "investment" that you've done at least some research and aren't expecting to be spoon-fed each drop of information you seek.

That said, we do sometimes get a little snotty. It's balanced by other situations where members will go well beyond the norm to help someone out.

It's been said before, but the forum is oriented towards the professional manufacturer - whether machinist, programmer, engineer, etc.

It's a courtesy to respect the forum zeitgeist and not waste member's time by asking really basic questions that are better found at sites oriented towards beginners. It's also shows "investment" that you've done at least some research and aren't expecting to be spoon-fed each drop of information you seek.

That said, we do sometimes get a little snotty. It's balanced by other situations were members will go well beyond the norm to help someone out.

I'm trying to turn a thread what should I use in my lantern post holder and is 400 rpm too much.

I’m fairly new here. Retired after 55 years. I’ve seen so many guys belittling newbies that it’s nauseating. I remember my early days and the people who both encouraged and helped me eventually become a moldmaker. Some of the assholes I see here patting themselves on the back at the expense of rookies are just narcissistic morons. Ease up on the newbies. You were one yourself. Remember that.

Soon to be locked. Another newbie who can't read and follow the posting title rules.

Are you Greenthing's Daddy/Uncle ?

That said, we do sometimes get a little snotty. It's balanced by other situations where members will go well beyond the norm to help someone out.

.....It's been said before...., but the forum is oriented towards the professional manufacturer - whether machinist, programmer, engineer, etc."

"oriented towards the professional manufacturer" Best to grade any forum on the topics/threads that get the most views........BTW...check out the links for cheap Chinese calipers....

Back