Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    It's been said before, but the forum is oriented towards the professional manufacturer - whether machinist, programmer, engineer, etc.

It's a courtesy to respect the forum zeitgeist and not waste member's time by asking really basic questions that are better found at sites oriented towards beginners. It's also shows "investment" that you've done at least some research and aren't expecting to be spoon-fed each drop of information you seek.

That said, we do sometimes get a little snotty. It's balanced by other situations where members will go well beyond the norm to help someone out.

.....It's been said before...., but the forum is oriented towards the professional manufacturer - whether machinist, programmer, engineer, etc."

"oriented towards the professional manufacturer" Best to grade any forum on the topics/threads that get the most views........BTW...check out the links for cheap Chinese calipers....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fine, I'll say those two little words.

Suck. It.

3. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ask a silly question ....get a silly answer

fog horn leghorn is the man ....

us old machinists are assholes, but we are sincere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Are you Greenthing's Daddy/Uncle ?
    OK Digger,a bit of logic.Woodeye suggests trees. Trees have leaves. Leaves are green things. Sorted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While this is a great forum for sharing information and advice with professionals, it is also a major source of entertainment for a lot of those professionals. Sadly it often devolves to the level of middle school kids in the playground. And that doesn't even include the political bullshit that get flung around. So it goes....

Well worth putting up with tho, and absolutely my favorite place to learn and share, or just waste time. And as has been said, I'd guess meeting some of these dickheads in person would be a surprisingly excellent experience.

7. Likes Ray Behner, Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least this place exists for a new guy to ask questions. I am sure many of you like me started in the trade well before this thing called the internet, many of us were at the mercy of being trained by a genuine a-hole. I don't understand, if this place is geared toward experienced professional machinists, why are there ads for $10 digital calipers, and $200 CNC routers? I wouldn't have either one of those if they were given to me. I am sure even a novice would quickly determine they are worthless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    ..... if this place is geared toward experienced professional machinists, why are there ads for $10 digital calipers, and $200 CNC routers? I wouldn't have either one of those if they were given to me. I am sure even a novice would quickly determine they are worthless.
    Those ads are placed by an outside service. An algorithm automatically chooses the ads based on purchaser demographics and a other data points.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well,
    I'm new here but.
    I do wonder why so many people expect you to be nice all the time.
    Look at all the sensitivity training' diversity training and sissification that's going on in this country. I know a lot of it is for the ladies - so they feel "comfortable" in an occupation that was historically male doninated. But the men seem like they have become as thin skinned as women historically were.
    Maybe I'm just a natural born son of a bitch but I don't expect everyone to be nice all the time. I think it's kind of phoney. And I don't care much about how you Feel about this or that but I AM genuinely interested in what you THINK about it.
    There is the old saying about "the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked". I think that's BS. Run it like they did in boot camp. Ask a stupid question and you got told to drop and do 50 push ups. Because that has been covered 3 times already and you were playing pocket pool or some darned thing instead of paying attention.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see all that much belittling going on. Every now and then, yes. Usually it's someone who deserves it. Every once in a while somebody does go off for no good reason, and I've seen guys apologize for that, too.

However, I'm in the camp that yes, there are indeed stupid questions. Any question that could have been answered by a quick search and a little time spent reading is often considered a waste of time to answer. For a lot of guys here, time is worth a lot of money. Wasting it can be annoying to those fellas. When I first started reading at this site I was already able to answer a lot of the questions I saw being asked. But I didn't, because I often read answers that were just as good or even better than what I would have answered. I learned a lot more than I already knew just by keeping my mouth shut and reading as well; and about subjects wide and varied. I didn't even bother to register here for many many years after I started reading. I read, and absorbed, and tried things I read about, in addition to what I was learning every day in the shop.

Intelligent questions here usually are well received and answered with excellent advice by knowledgeable guys. Ignorant questions are usually met with ignorant or sarcastic answers, and perhaps some of that belittling mentioned at the outset of this post. If the rejoinder is one of outrage or further ignorance, the offender is generally put on blast. If, in contrast, it's one of consideration and perhaps rephrased in a more intelligent way with further necessary pertinent information, almost without fail a civil discussion ensues.

And also, we have covered this many times before.

12. Likes plastikdreams, Lewie, gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda like asking how to read the feed chart on a 10ee...just done yesterday lol. I felt too much pitty to ride the guy, it was just too easy lol.

I once had some new guy pm me telling me I should apologize to some dink who was asking about some piece of shit Chinese wire machine...he said because I'm the moderator I should be nice lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ I got your fucking nice right here... er.. there.. er... I had it somewhere... Eh, fuck it. Go fucks yer self!

15. Likes plastikdreams liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I'm trying to turn a thread what should I use in my lantern post holder and is 400 rpm too much.
    what is the material ? play doe or supper glue and baking soda ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesca View Post
    what is the material ? play doe or supper glue and baking soda ?
    It's somewhere in between solid and semi solid. I read somewhere that I could grind a tool so I grabbed some steel from home depot and shaped it with my dremel

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve got a little shit here since I’ve joined but I think it comes with the territory. My read is a lot of this group do this for a living and don’t have time for BS. I can respect that being a guy who bought a mill because I thought it would be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    It's somewhere in between solid and semi solid. I read somewhere that I could grind a tool so I grabbed some steel from home depot and shaped it with my diesel.
    He is not going to turn those threads he is going to lathe them!

20. Likes tdmidget, M.B. Naegle, reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is better than the Far Side.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Far side of what?

How do we know when we are there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be careful guys. If we have too much fun the Fun Police will shut us down.

24. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't every machinist in general a cranky asshole? I have met ZERO bubbly personality machinists. I am not sayin they aren't out there, but as a general rule you can consider us slightly assholish.

That doesn't mean we don't like ya. It just means that maybe you asked a dumbass question. I am guilty asking such questions.

Some old ass coming on hear claiming "goddamn I got 250 years of moldmaking experience blah blah blah" is just being dumb. Sure guy, 55 years experience. OK. So that means you know it all. YOU are God's gift to machining.

My measly 12 years experience counts for something but not compared to your 50+ years. I am sure you have seen a lot. I respect that. Good for you. Claiming that all machinists no longer help the young guys because we give them a little attitude? Well come on now, let's see your super sunny disposition!

Surely after 55 years in this trade you'd recognize WHY we have such an attitude. I wonder if it has to do with our trade being eviscerated by a generation of bad trade policies, automation and offshoring. Your generation is responsible for the trade policies that landed us here. Not directly, but your generation voted those asshats into power and look what they did.

26. Likes Zeuserdoo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    Your generation is responsible for the trade policies that landed us here. Not directly, but your generation voted those asshats into power and look what they did.
    Might be thread drift, but I suspect you'll find that it was our generation and the one before it that caused the automation and offshoring etc. Politicians and CEOs tend to be older, rather than younger.

28. Likes TeachMePlease, metalmadness liked this post