What's new
What's new

Who is a good tool supplier in the Portland Oregon area?

DavidScott

Diamond
Things like form taps, end mills, and general stuff needed for a cnc mill shop. Western is not an option. I've used Western for 20 years for this stuff so I don't know who else is out there these days to replace them. I need them to be local so if I need a tap tomorrow I don't have to pay out the ass in shipping.

Just curious about your gripe with Western. Their prices are a little heavy, but that's the advantage of having the whole area cornered. You may want to look North instead of South. Plenty of suppliers on the Sound.

R

I need them to be local so if I need a tap tomorrow I don't have to pay out the ass in shipping.
If you find somebody, let us all know. After 25 years in the Portland area, there are probably still lots of vendors I don't know. But I order all of my cutting tools online these days.

Let's just say I have had bad luck with Western and credit cards over the last several years, and they only accept credit cards or cash for payment. I used to buy from Application Specialties a long time ago but they were a little small and a lot of stuff shipped out of the Seattle area, which takes 2 days for me.

I just broke 3 4-40 form taps making some fixtures, the stars are out of alignment as I have had zero problems in the last year using the same tools, speeds, feeds, and aluminum, and had to drive to Western to get the taps so I could pay cash. This has been something I needed to deal with but after yesterday it's become more important. My other sources died off during the last depression.

Last edited:
Have you tried TSI Tool Supply ? I get a flyer from them every so often for the past 20 years. It says they are in Tualatin, OR. 503-691-1900 I think I've purchased a few things off the flyer. Tool Supply / Pac-West Tool

Thanks for the TSI suggestion. I just looked at their line card and they show all the companies whose products I like to use. Looks like they are worth a try.

Tool Supply doesn't have much inventory, everything I have bought from them had to be ordered.

Why don't you just setup an account with Western? I get decent pricing from them, a phone call and it's on the truck. 2 deliveries a day, so if I don't catch the morning truck I know it will be here in the afternoon.

Mesher is only a couple blocks from my shop- they have inventory but I haven't bought from them in quite a while. They're at 17th and Johnson (NW Industrial area), so at least it would be a shorter drive than going down to Western.

When I was up in Seattle I bought from New Tech and Swift. There was a New Tech here in Portland, but he shut it down a while back. New Tech was the kids- Swift was the old man. All in the family.

I looked into setting up an accout with Western, at the end of the credit app they want a credit card to keep on file to charge for any orders. I'm 70 miles from downtown Portland so a drive anywhere is a long one.

How do you pay Western? I was told on Monday they only take credit cards or cash, no company checks.

...How do you pay Western? I was told on Monday they only take credit cards or cash, no company checks.
They mail an invoice, I mail a check to California. I've never even been to the store in Portland- everything comes to me.

Call the corp office- 925-443-8665 and ask for someone in AR. Tell them you need to setup an account. I never gave them a CC number, but I think they have my banking info on file like any other supplier.

I've known the guys at Western forever. My dad used to work for their competitor. They're not great, but they don't suck either. I've also had more problems with their card billing than I can count. They always neglect to update card info or it just vanishes from their system.

They mail an invoice, I mail a check to California. I've never even been to the store in Portland- everything comes to me.

Call the corp office- 925-443-8665 and ask for someone in AR. Tell them you need to setup an account. I never gave them a CC number, but I think they have my banking info on file like any other supplier.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. If nothing else once I get my new card I won't update it with them so it's safe. Other than their corporate billing I like them well enough.

Back