Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is interesting. I was unaware of that difference.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what Bridgeport says about theirs:

The base assembly for the Bridgeport Series I Knee Mill is procured from Taiwan. The head and most of the head components are US domestically sourced and assembled. The final machine is assembled and inspected in the US. The country of origin is USA.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wells Index pricing for the American made machine and options. Funny that this is pic # 1776 in my phone.
    img_1776.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bridgeport pricing
    img_1778.jpg
    img_1779.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Wells Index pricing for the American made machine and options. Funny that this is pic # 1776 in my phone.
    img_1776.jpg
    I would delete the flex arm light, I wouldn't pay .75 cents for one let alone 75.00!

6. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone I knew bought a used Wells and called the factory, the guy in sales looked up the model # and said he was the one that built it. If you got the cash and a huge need for a manual mill, buy the Wells 847 and call it a day! Be sure to take some video/pics of what it can hog for metal!

Machine Builders of New England build the Bridgeport heads in the USA.

8. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd buy the Wells with the larger table. I'd buy it without the DRO and add my own Newall. same for the power drawbar...I'd add my own MaxiTorqueRite.

As for Bridgeport, I have no idea where they actually get their parts but I'm always suspicious when I read some bullshit like 'we use USA and locally sourced materials....' The thing is, I can locally source lots of stuff from the local Harbor Freight which brings it in by the container load from Communist China. "Sourcing" is just another sneaky-word used by mooks who want to hide what they're really doing.

10. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some time as the shop has to get bigger before I have a spot for it and I recon there a few sitting on the floor at dealers, I see Sterling has one of the 747's, I will keep sniffing around but at least now I some pricing and what to shop for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    This is the crazy Bridgeport, series 2 special, little head-big body, just like Hollywood.
    https://storage.bhs.cloud.ovh.net/v1...n1Cypz78GD.jpg

I get to use one of these arm stretchers sometimes, but they have double the weight capacity, they are a cult classic, and fetch high prices, but wow...
    I used one of those in the instrument shop, it had an air bladder under the knee to assist in raising the table.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I had a 4x CNC version of the SerII SP, and it is a nice machine!
    (And yes - it has the air assist knee, and you would be glad for it too)

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    I'd buy the Wells with the larger table. I'd buy it without the DRO and add my own Newall. same for the power drawbar...I'd add my own MaxiTorqueRite.

As for Bridgeport, I have no idea where they actually get their parts but I'm always suspicious when I read some bullshit like 'we use USA and locally sourced materials....' The thing is, I can locally source lots of stuff from the local Harbor Freight which brings it in by the container load from Communist China. "Sourcing" is just another sneaky-word used by mooks who want to hide what they're really doing.
    Wells index website is a bit missleading as I look at it as far as country of origin as well, their advertised $16K machine is mostly fron Tiawan and the next step to a US made one just about doubles in price but that price is not shown. For fun I have been trying to locate used machines in good shape and have only found a couple of "Hardinge Bridgeports" both in near new condition and am trying to contact the owners to see why they want to sell them. I found one "Index" mill for sale, it does not look much like what they sell today so I imagine it is 50 years old but I did send a message to see. One Bridgeport shows no use at all and is in a garage with cars all around it, it has a dro, power feed on X and is about 30% off new if you count sales tax. I am curious to ask why one would buy a new one and not use it simply to sell it at a loss and aside from wanting to buy one I am happy to see that the Wells Index machines are not for sale near new. In the end I only really need a machine for simple 2nd op type stuff or getting blanks ready to put in a VMC with the occasional odd project. I don't plan to do much serious milling on it making the step from $16K to $45K a big one, but this is why I am asking questions and shopping as I prefer that to buyers remorse. A little time spent up front can be well worth it in the end.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about Kent? any experiance or knowlege of those these days? I heard today that they have a 6k spindle?

What if a guy could find an unused Hardinge Bridgeport before they sent the casting overseas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure I understand being concerned about the quality from Taiwan?

A lot fussier stuff comes out of there that is really good.

???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My preferance would be to keep the money here. I like to buy American made where I can, but that is not my only interest. I like good value and tend to not buy cheap for the sake of cheap nor the most expensive to place in my showroom, however I don't need a machine to rebuild. got enough of that. I mostly need a machine with a tipy head so I can putting that tippy vise thing in and out of a VMC, it is getting too heavy and akward. I am wondering how all these knee mill brands keep going if nobody here has bought one as of recent?

I do think such a Bridgeport exists and am curious about the quality as Hardinge took over, I am understanding there was a lot of problems with their first ones, that is supposed to be fixed now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand and agree with your "Made in Yankeeville" reason.
    I was just addressing the quality concern.

I doubt that many castings that large are done here anymore.
    Thank your local EPA representative.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

19. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mostly need a machine with a tipy head so I can putting that tippy vise thing in and out of a VMC ...
    If that's your major reason, and I'm not ignoring what you said about projects, but I'd be looking for an Abene and pay someone to recondition it. With the prices you're getting for new, and the gigantic advantage the Abene has at tippy-head operation, you might be happier. None of those ram-types tip the head that good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I don't recal saying anything about the quality from Tiawan, I had a Maxmill from there once apon a time and it was a very good machine.
    I was just wondering about the Bridgeports from the time Hardinge took over until they exported them as I found one almost unused from that time. it has a DRO and an X, servo feed with an option of one for the Y as well. It is actually close enough that Jo and I could go get it.

That Abene is an interesting looking thing but a standard knee mill will be easier to get rid of later when I get better at fishing and motorcycle riding than machining.

I hav not heard back from Kent on theirs, she said they would call but I think they went drinkin instead.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner, but you might give H&W a call. Not only are they my favorite place to get Bridgeport parts and support from, they are active on this forum in the Bridgeport section. They are domestic and a rebuilder. I think they often have properly rebuilt machines for sale, and if you tell them what you expect I would trust them to steer you away before selling you something that didn’t meet those expectations.

23. Likes moonlight machine, kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

I don't recal saying anything about the quality from Tiawan, I had a Maxmill from there once apon a time and it was a very good machine.
    I was just wondering about the Bridgeports from the time Hardinge took over until they exported them as I found one almost unused from that time. it has a DRO and an X, servo feed with an option of one for the Y as well. It is actually close enough that Jo and I could go get it.

That Abene is an interesting looking thing but a standard knee mill will be easier to get rid of later when I get better at fishing and motorcycle riding than machining.

I hav not heard back from Kent on theirs, she said they would call but I think they went drinkin instead.

How about Kent? any experiance or knowlege of those these days? I heard today that they have a 6k spindle?

What if a guy could find an unused Hardinge Bridgeport before they sent the casting overseas?

I have been under the impression for a coons age that anything from Kent has been imported / rebadged (?) for decades by now.
    ???
    Don't they now go by "Kent USA"?
    I know some folks that had a newer Kent toolroom surface grinder 15 yrs ago, and I was purty sure at that time that it was imported.
    ???

A true rebuild might not be a bad direction.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

25. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went looking at Kent, Kent USA, and Kent International a couple years ago for a surface grinder. From what I could tell one of those three pages pointed to the other two, but all are overseas production. Per Richard King in an other thread the two Kents are cousins who opted to split the family business at some point. Does explain why they always look awfully similar other than their choice of colors. At the time I concluded that they weren't going to be the machine I needed and my employer opted not to buy anything at all so I can't really speak to their quality.

27. Likes kustomizer liked this post