What's new
What's new

who is responsible for all the missing lathe chuck jaws! ;-)

CalG

Diamond
I've got an old Union 7C that came to me jawless. (over 30 years ago)
Hmm... 7C, bigger than a 6inch, smaller than an 8 inch, must be a 7 INCH!

I wrote to Union some years back, but never heard back
I keep thinking I'll run across those three missing pieces, but that guy who snagged 'em must be holed up.

That light weight chuck would sure come in handy every once in a while.
Anyone know where that guy who takes all the chuck jaws is?

They probably did something similar to the metamorphosis of "church keys"- the openers you needed for beer cans before the invention of the pull tab. In the winter they would crawl behind radiators and change into wire coat hangers.

It must be true because you never could find a church key when you needed one but always had way too many coat hangers.

Bill

I don't know who is responsible, but he did me a favor.

I decided I wanted a six inch six jaw Buck Set-Tru, and because of his efforts I was able to find TWO of them on eBay, each missing one set of jaws for less money than I'd have to pay for the a single example of the same chuck with both sets of jaws.

I keep thinking I'll run across those three missing pieces, but that guy who snagged 'em must be holed up.

I don't know who or where he is but pretty sure he owns a stick welder.

Around 1984, the local General Electric die shop was closed and auctioned. They had about ten Hardinge HLV-H lathes plus a bunch of other lathes, so there were many chucks. The auctioneers put the chucks in random groups of three or so to sell in lots. The jaws that were not in chucks were put in boxes, probably randomly mixed. I did not bother bidding on any of either groups. The only way to make out OK would have been to buy every lot of chucks and jaws and sort through them to make sets. I had limited funds, and bought better deals.

Larry

Where I worked was an old, old shop. Here's the story on our chuck jaws: Most of the specials were designed for use on the 100s of turret lathes we had. Those same jaws were used when they started getting ACs in the shop. Then, the company started getting heavy into NCs and then CNCs Why not use all of these jaws we have, ULM said. So, after several parts were thrown out of lathes, ULM thought there might be a problem. I relayed to them the fact that the lathes that the jaws were designed for had a max RPM of about 900. The jaws were way to heavy for 2,000 RPM. How could that be? ULM asked!

After more parts were ejected, safety was concerned and brought in a consultant. The consultant said; "these jaws are way to heavy for the RPM you're trying to run", Gave them a large bill and left.

How can that be? said ULM and had some of the kids model the parts and run the stress analysis programs on them. The fair haired kids told ULM that the jaws were too heavy to run 2,000 RPM.

ULM had the jaws set to the scrapyard and they now buy the parts from China. So, I retired.
JR

I have a one of the countries largest collection of vintage chuck jaws. In order to save space ,I only collect jaw number 2, I scrap the others.Edwin Dirnbeck

I have a one of the countries largest collection of vintage chuck jaws. In order to save space ,I only collect jaw number 2, I scrap the others.Edwin Dirnbeck

I collect the number 2 jaws also. The #2 jaws have the highest value. When I've accumulated a pallet of each #1 jaws and #3 jaws I take them to the local auction house to be sold separately as two different lots. By saturaturating the market with #1 and #3 jaws the # 2 jaw value escalates and then sell the #2s for a proffit on ebay.

I have to agree that in many cases the auctioneers don't have a clue as to what fits what, and even worse they don't care. I frequent a used machine dealer in Waupaca WI: http://rhliquidators.net/

Over the years he has accumulated thousands of chuck jaws that have become homeless. It never fails, at almost every auction the chucks and the jaws become separated. At the end of the auction most boxes of jaws remain simply because no one knows what they fit. In an effort to get rid of them the auction companies just give the boxes to anyone who bought a lot of chucks.

I've looked through the boxes until I'm blue in the face, but have yet to come out with anything that fits the dozen or so chucks in my shop. It's a shame because probably 50% of the jaws in his "collection" have never been used. They're taped together in sets of 3, 4 or 6. Apparently the previous owner set them on the shelf for future use and never got back to them.

I have to admit I'm one of those who puts the extra jaws in a "special place" so I can find them when I need them. The trouble is I "need" them so infrequently I almost always forget where the "special place" was. On occasions I've spent over an hour looking for a set I knew I had, but couldn't remember where I put them.

Recently I started putting them in compartmented plastic storage boxes that are clearly labeled, on a shelf I walk by at least 100 times a day. Hopefully this method will keep them from being lost in the mess.

The answer couldn't be more obvious. Where do you think the Tooth Fairy gets the cash for kids' teeth? Some international cartel, I believe. Google "tooth fairy" and you'll find a vast assortment of chuck jaws, as well as unmatched socks and Judge Crater, if you're interested.

Odd how there is no attempt at standardising chuck jaws. At one shop I worked at,old John McV(ex R-R)was having a hissy fit,someone had lost a jaw from the big six jaw on the Harrison. After that it was always a 5jaw!

lazy setup men
and they didn't take them, they threw them on the tub full of parts and the eventually ended up in the trash
;)

I have several sets of jaws I picked up along the way, a couple sets of jaws for a 3 jaws that I know what chuck they fit. One set is both inside and out side solid jaws for Bison 6" chucks. Offered them for sale here and couldn't find a taker on them, seems interested members wanted them for nothing? I know from the serial numbers there are two of these chucks out there with one set of jaws missing. Myself, I'd rather keep them rat holed than give them away, I'm thinking a chuck as popular as the Bison that needs them will come along cheap.
Dan

Back