What's new
What's new

Trying to identify manual lathe manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

POR

Plastic
I have found a 14"x40" manual lathe that I want to buy. A big sticker on the front of the headstock says Challenger. The owner says he bought it new in 2000. Does someone know what company built this lathe and what country and quality. The price ($3300 US) suggests lower quality but I don't want to make a bunch of assumptions in laying down my cash. Any help would be appreciated.
Lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Those ChiComm (Chinese Communist) products have some many different names. Reminds me of those businesses that have "closing for business" sale. Then the same people open a new store down the street with a new name.

Cheap import lathe sold under a variety of names. I have one that looks like it no name brand. I think originally came from Enco.

I need a lathe for machining 1 1/2" ID bushings 6" long. Boring out from each end. So 3/4" dia. boring bar hung out just over 3". Also machine thread on 2" hydraulic cylinder rods. .080" depth of cut on 2" shaft.
So fairly light tool loads.
This lathe is supposed to be mounted in my enclosed 1 ton truck body so weight is a concern.
My biggest concern is headstock design that limits machining because of vibration issues caused by poor design and cheap bearings.
What do you think?

I need a lathe for machining 1 1/2" ID bushings 6" long. Boring out from each end. So 3/4" dia. boring bar hung out just over 3". Also machine thread on 2" hydraulic cylinder rods. .080" depth of cut on 2" shaft.
So fairly light tool loads.
This lathe is supposed to be mounted in my enclosed 1 ton truck body so weight is a concern.
My biggest concern is headstock design that limits machining because of vibration issues caused by poor design and cheap bearings.
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back