What's new
What's new

Why do people buy massive lathes for their home shop?

greenthing

Plastic
Sometimes I'll see people online with massive lathes in their home shop like a 13" by 40", sometimes even bigger. I'm just wondering what could you possibly need from a lathe that size? Obviously I don't have a problem with it, I think it's cool (and I'm slightly jealous) but I'm just perplexed because I've never needed to make anything that big.

What size do you have in your home shop?

Sometimes I'll see people online with massive lathes in their home shop like a 13" by 40", sometimes even bigger. I'm just wondering what could you possibly need from a lathe that size? Obviously I don't have a problem with it, I think it's cool (and I'm slightly jealous) but I'm just perplexed because I've never needed to make anything that big.

What size do you have in your home shop?

On what planet is a 13X40 a massive lathe?

nearly everything I do would be too big or too slow for a lathe that size.

My little lathe is 18" x 30". My long lathe is 20" x 120" and my big swing lathe is my 4" HBM. In theory it could swing 17 feet diameter if I move the bridge crane out of the way so the part is unobstructed to the 20' ceiling. The lowest speed is 17 RPM though, so going past about 7' diameter is pushing the SFM limits for steel.

I know people that have home shops that make my little place look small.

The best deals are on machines too heavy for most to lift.View attachment 333718 Dave

I can see that, most people probably can't fit or maneuver a 8000lb Cincinnati/Monarch into their garage

Sometimes you gotta buy what's available...it's always better to have more machine than you need than coming up an inch short. :)

Yeah but what do people make with them? Every video I've seen it's people making knobs and screws like so https://youtu.be/vg6ug0FDhos lol

On what planet is a 13X40 a massive lathe?

nearly everything I do would be too big or too slow for a lathe that size.

My little lathe is 18" x 30". My long lathe is 20" x 120" and my big swing lathe is my 4" HBM. In theory it could swing 17 feet diameter if I move the bridge crane out of the way so the part is unobstructed to the 20' ceiling. The lowest speed is 17 RPM though, so going past about 7' diameter is pushing the SFM limits for steel.

I know people that have home shops that make my little place look small.

Holy moly, do you live in a Home Depot?

What do you make with it? Drive axles?

I can see that, most people probably can't fit or maneuver a 8000lb Cincinnati/Monarch into their garage

Yeah but what do people make with them? Every video I've seen it's people making knobs and screws like so https://youtu.be/vg6ug0FDhos lol

My point was, sometimes ya buy what ya can get. Say there's 3 lathes available, 2 are smallish but clapped out, one is really nice but is on the larger side...

Maybe "just because I want it"

In 2019 I helped my best friend's widow liquidate his estate, primarily his machine tools. His prize was a gorgeous Bradford 15x40 lathe in near perfect condition, moved like silk. An 80 year old man with heart issues showed up to load it on a 5x10 trailer. I sent him home for another trailer. Next day we spent hours winching that monster into a horse trailer. He also bought a nice pantograph, and added on a beautiful Harding BB4 I had lovingly restored. He spent over $6000 for the lot.
A few weeks later I drove 100 miles to take him a part that had been dropped off his trailer. When I got there I was horrified to see all three machines sitting out in the weather, standing water in the chip trays, already covered in rust. I was sick. He wasn't bothered to even throw a tarp over them.
Some people buy things because they can.

A 13”x40” is an awkward size. In my hierarchy it would go something like: small instrument lathe, I.e. Lorch, Schaublin, then bigger instrument lathe 10ee or hlvh, next step from there would be 17” to 20”. The 13x 40 doesn’t fit, too big for the small work and too small for most else.

I see people buying bigger lathes if they have a hobby farm and need to fix things occasionally.
I see people buying a bigger lathe than they wanted just to get a bigger spindle bore. Or they think they can justify it by turning brake rotors (bad idea)

Surely someone will say "You can make small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't make big parts on a little lathe". True, up to a point, but I don't want to make firing pin on a 16" lathe. Too much mass spinning close to my near-sighted forehead. I keep a good 7" lathe for that stuff.
I do most of what I need on a 9" Logan.
I have a lovely 11" Powermatic Logan but I almost never need even that much capacity. I just can't bring myself to sell it.

Back